Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

by_doctor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
Hi everyone. I am pro windows user. But i bought an old macbook pro mid-2014. So i don't know about anything macOS or macbook pro. I researched some but everyone says different things. Which version should i choose for fresh install? I'm computer engineer. I care about performance ,battery and app compability. Also should i buy wd blue sn570 1 tb for my mbp? Thx for your help.

halledise

macrumors 68000
best macOS version

[screenshot from everyman.com]

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 20.25.23.png

• Love
Reactions: by_doctor

by_doctor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
Which specific model number and current Mac OS installed?
2.5 ghz i7 core 16 gb ram mid-2014. I don't know spesific model number. Because my motherboard gonna change from late 2013 (EMC2745) to mid-2014. In repair right now. Catalina MacOS installed on MBP.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
The "maximum macOS" is BigSur. This is also the only macOS that is still supported by Apple. (The last security update came out a week ago.) (NOTE: Big Sur will be abandoned very soon.)
If you care even a little bit about security, I would recommend that.

I'm running BigSur on a 2013 Macbook Air. Browsing, Office Work, Microsoft Teams. Not very quick during boot or app launch, but reliable during daily use.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
It's not my screenshot. I have 15" macbook pro mid-2014 i7 16 gb ram.
Ah sorry. you should check on everymac.com for your model and look for the "maximum macOS".
Monterey is imho a very good and stable macOS. I have it running on several 2014 MacMinis. If your Mac can run it, I would recommend it over BigSur.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I have a Late 2013 13" i7 16gb 512gb Macbook Pro, similar to yours I'd say. It is still my daily driver and I can't really complain. It's going to turn 10 in a month!
As of now, I've stayed on Mojave. Compatibility is starting to be an issue (Safari is old, Firefox is on the Extended Support Release, Chrome won't update any longer), so I can't recommend it even if it's been flawless and quick for me.
I am thinking about the next step, I am not sure yet what I'll update to. I'll keep a eye on this thread, thank you for asking the question!

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Check your privilege much?
What I am trying to imply is he should aquire it as cheaply as possible.

If he bought it at the price you believe is "checking privilege" then he would have been scammed

If you read his reply it was a hand me down and he needs to spend $250 to rehab it.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
What I am trying to imply is he should aquire it as cheaply as possible.

If he bought it at the price you believe is "checking privilege" then he would have been scammed

If you read his reply it was a hand me down and he needs to spend $250 to rehab it.
Ahh, so the "junk value" remark wasn't shade.. i see

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.