Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Forgive me if this has already been covered (I’m somewhat new to the Mac ecosystem), but what’s method to transfer my current MacBook Pro 13 data/settings/format to my new MacBook 14 silicon?

I’ve read several articles and it appears there‘s a couple of methods—Wi-Fi transfer, direct cable transfer, or Time Machine.

I use Time Machine every day. Is there any advantage to using Time Machine over Wi-Fi transfer?

Curious what the consensus is here. Thank you for your feedback.

MrP90

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
Florida
Forgive me if this has already been covered (I’m somewhat new to the Mac ecosystem), but what’s method to transfer my current MacBook Pro 13 data/settings/format to my new MacBook 14 silicon?

I’ve read several articles and it appears there‘s a couple of methods—Wi-Fi transfer, direct cable transfer, or Time Machine.

I use Time Machine every day. Is there any advantage to using Time Machine over Wi-Fi transfer?

Curious what the consensus is here. Thank you for your feedback.
Migrating from a Time Machine backup will be your fastest way with the items you have. Wi-fi is the slowest and Target Disk mode on the old one to migrate from might not the best if you do not have the correct cables

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Migrating from a Time Machine backup will be your fastest way with the items you have. Wi-fi is the slowest and Target Disk mode on the old one to migrate from might not the best if you do not have the correct cables
Great, thank you for the feedback.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One of the easiest ways to do it is to "migrate" the first time you boot the new Mac, using a backup drive.

BUT... sounds like you already have the new one up-and-running, with a new account created?

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I connected both Macs with a USB C Thunderbolt cable and went thru the migration procedure. I had to read the small print for instructions and then enable the connection in settings on the 'from' Map.
It went really well.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
+1 TM

I restored my new ‘20 M1 MBP from ‘14 Intel MBP TM backup. Worked automagically!

Of course I’m using TrueNAS enterprise class NAS for TM backups.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
One of the easiest ways to do it is to "migrate" the first time you boot the new Mac, using a backup drive.

BUT... sounds like you already have the new one up-and-running, with a new account created?
No I haven’t set it up yet but did receive the new MacBook the other day. Does the Migrate use the Time Machine backup?

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I connected both Macs with a USB C Thunderbolt cable and went thru the migration procedure. I had to read the small print for instructions and then enable the connection in settings on the 'from' Map.
It went really well.
Do you know if there’s any benefit of using this procedure over Time Machine backup?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The key is to have your backup drive connected when you power up the new MBP for the first time.

Begin setup and at the appropriate time, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from a backup or drive. YES, you do, so...

"Aim" setup assistant at the backup, and give it time to "digest everything".

Setup assistant will present you with a list of stuff to migrate.
I'd choose everything.

Then... let it go. Again, it will take some time, so be patient.

When done, you should see your login screen, just as before...

Reactions: FMRWin10Boy

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
The key is to have your backup drive connected when you power up the new MBP for the first time.

Begin setup and at the appropriate time, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from a backup or drive. YES, you do, so...

"Aim" setup assistant at the backup, and give it time to "digest everything".

Setup assistant will present you with a list of stuff to migrate.
I'd choose everything.

Then... let it go. Again, it will take some time, so be patient.

When done, you should see your login screen, just as before...
Great, thank you.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Just a datum point on Migration Assistant...

I recently helped an individual transfer her login directory from an old MBP having TB2 ports to a new MBP having USB-C ports. Since I have never used Migration Assistant before, I decided to try it for this transfer. I connected an old TB2 cable with a TB2-to-USB-C dongle between the two machines. Migration Assistant was extremely easy to set up and transferred her login directory and her applications over the cable in less than two minutes. I was impressed that this worked so smoothly.

Personally, I don't use Migration Assistant because of how I've organized my directory trees. I use Git, rsync (the underlying protocol/utility of Carbon Copy Cloner), and an external TB3 SSD for the initial transfer from an old to the new machine. Everyday, I use Git and rsync over WiFi for backing up to several locations in a timely fashion. I also like the fact that I can use Git and rsync for backup from Linux machines where Time Machine is not available. (I used to use Time Machine, but, at least in my hands, my TM backups eventually all had problems that were essentially not fixable except by restarting the TM backups. I have not experienced these troubles with Git and rsync. Thus I abandoned TM and instead rely on Git and rsync. I haven't used TM for years, so perhaps it is now more robust and doesn't suffer these troubles anymore?)

And, most recently (and I know I'll receive a lot of blowback for this, so go ahead), I wrote over 5000 lines of bash code to implement an antiquated backup scheme! The reason for so many lines is that the code is quite robust, checking that everything worked properly and not allowing the user to continue if problems are encountered. My scheme uses "tar" (tar, by the way, is still used by Apple for their diagnostics), bzip2, gpg2, shasum, split, cat, echo, tee, awk, grep, caffeinate, plus a few other utilities to make a backup of a directory tree, compress the backup, calculate its hash code, encrypt it with 4096-bit RSA keys, split the resulting backup file into 1GB subfiles for easy transfer to multiple thumb drives, calculate hash codes for all of the subfiles, transfer the subfiles to another location, verify the hash codes for the newly transferred subfiles, merge the subfiles back into the encrypted, compressed tarred backup, verify its hash code, decrypt the backup, and uncompress and unpack the backup into a copy of the original directory tree, all while writing a log file of everything that was done. A final rsync over an ssh tunnel then verifies that all directories and files were transferred properly. Now you may be wondering why I went to this trouble. I needed to transfer about 500 GB through the mail (letter) in a secure way so that even if the thumb drives were stolen they would be useless. This scheme accomplishes that task. (The downside is that even on a M1 Max, the bzip2 compression and gpg2 encryption with a 4096-bit key along with verifications of 500GB takes several hours! The upside is that only a single bash command line is needed to perform the backup and a single command line to unpack the backup at the other end. And this also works not only under macOS but also Linux.).

Solouki

Last edited:
Reactions: FMRWin10Boy

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Update on what I did. I made the transfer today via Migration Assistant when first powering up the computer. I opted for the Time Machine backup method. But first Mac prompted me to update to the latest MacOS, which I did. I then successfully transfered my data and settings to the new M1. All in, it took just over an hour. 40 minutes was spent on the MacOS update. However, I feel only 95-98% of my settings carried over. For example, the wallpaper wasn't right, it repopulated Numbers, Pages, etc..even though I deleted them on my old machine. Folders and files on my desktop were out of order. It didn't transfer Bluetooth settings with devices. Time Machine wasn't working on the new machine. And I had initial issues logging into my Apple ID.

It's kind of like using iCloud when you a new phone. It transfers over most things, but you still need to fill in passwords, reconnect email accounts, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.