Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
That monitor better than the curved Samsung?.
The 3440x1440 ultrawide? If you want a higher pixel density then 100%. I’m going to two 4K monitors versus having an ultrawide. After using a 4K monitor, I can’t use a lower resolution.

adamcarvell

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
warwickshire england
The 3440x1440 ultrawide? If you want a higher pixel density then 100%. I’m going to two 4K monitors versus having an ultrawide. After using a 4K monitor, I can’t use a lower resolution.
Ok the Samsung would be a good upgrade I don’t game it’s just for internet and watching films if my Mac can drive it.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Plan to buy the same monitor.
Any experiences so far?

All good so far. No major issues to report.

I’ve had it connected via USB-C and HDMI. The picture quality is great for both connections. I was originally sceptical on how it would look in dark mode being 1440p but have been pleasently surprised.

Currently running it via HDMI with my surface book 2 used via USB-C.

Almosted temped to get another to run as dual monitors.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Would my 24” Dell 2412m at 1900x1200 look any different on this new Mac mini?

I would think not and hopefully run faster as it’s currently hooked up to an old 2010 MacBook Pro.

Tomguin

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2018
Don’t make me jealous! I’d love an ultrawide, but it would be a bit much next to a 27” 4K monitor!
[doublepost=1546170594][/doublepost]
Ooft, sorry i just assume most folks have the 2018 model. I doubt the 2012 mini can run it at full res @60hz.

Apparently it works at 50hz: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-late-2012-with-lg-34uc98-at-3440x1440.2038327/
I had to drive to Middlesbrough to get the monitor as it seemed to be the only place remotely near that stocked it.

Really impressed so far. The curve is amazing, I can tilt and move the monitor as I need and MacOS looks great.

Windows UI looks less impressive and full res is probably too much for my PC. I've started to run it in 2560x1080 and games like Overwatch and PUBG look good. Diablo 3 is a bit more stuttery although im sure i can lower some settings to sort that out.

Lightroom looks great and general productivity is going to be amazing on this thing.

Overall it is a great all rounder for the price if you aren't too fussed about having everything look and run perfectly.

Reactions: gusping

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
How close do you sit? Does it still seem super high quality at that distance?
Probably 2-3 feet. I'm getting a new desk that will push it another 4-5 inches away. When you can find a solid wallpaper, the quality is definitely there. Everything is nice and crisp to read as well.

adamcarvell

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
warwickshire england
I had to drive to Middlesbrough to get the monitor as it seemed to be the only place remotely near that stocked it.

Really impressed so far. The curve is amazing, I can tilt and move the monitor as I need and MacOS looks great.

Windows UI looks less impressive and full res is probably too much for my PC. I've started to run it in 2560x1080 and games like Overwatch and PUBG look good. Diablo 3 is a bit more stuttery although im sure i can lower some settings to sort that out.

Lightroom looks great and general productivity is going to be amazing on this thing.

Overall it is a great all rounder for the price if you aren't too fussed about having everything look and run perfectly.
What resolution would my 2012 Mac mini run it at

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I have my 32" ViewSonic running at full res 3840x2160. I sit about 2 feet away from the screen. Some menu items can be a little squinty, but so far I'm managing quite well.

My new eGPU is due today, so perhaps after that's setup, I'll try some of the scaled resolutions.

PC314026-XL.jpg

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012

Very nice! If I didn't have a 4K monitor already, I'd 100% buy it. The main reason I went for a 4K monitor was for my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. I could leave the 4K monitor to the consoles and make that 1440p Ultrawide my primary monitor I suppose....

Would you mind uploading a few pics of it on your desk, as well as one where you have two programs open, e.g. safari on the left, Word/excel on the right? Curious to see how it looks with that Ultrawide real estate.

Thanks!

open0

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Disagree strongly. There are many better monitors out there for that much money. A simple google search and several reviews will tell you so as well.
I did compare it with LG 27UK850W before payment :) I use Dell 27 with mac mini core i3 without any issue about display, stability, when system shuting up and down or when sleep and wakeup
[doublepost=1546657630][/doublepost]so
The 24 inch 2415q is better as for what everyone says.
The 27 inch has lower local count and not as good 4k
some old monitors is now out of stock. dell u2718q is still available

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I don't have a mm but I have been thinking about one. lurking this thread and researching monitors I find this one attractive price and features. If I ditch my 2015 27" iMac I want a bigger screen. This seems to fit the bill.

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.58.08 PM.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Ingerman wrote:
"If I ditch my 2015 27" iMac I want a bigger screen. This seems to fit the bill."

Be careful about that display.
Not the quality -- the resolution.

32" at 4k is going to give you a display that "looks like" 1080p (but in HiDPI mode).
That means that effectively, the "perceived pixels" will be larger -- as in "blown up".
You may not be satisfied with that.

On the other hand, 32" at 1440p will look properly-sized (at least to me) -- BUT -- it's going to be "an interpolated image" (the default resolution of the display is 3840x2160).
What this means in practical terms is that the Mini's integrated GPU is going to "work harder" to scale that image, and others here have complained about the speed and smoothness of the display when viewing scaled images.

Speaking only for myself, I would like a 32" display, also.
But it will have to be either 5k (to keep the perceived pixel size reasonable), or "straight 1440p" (which is native 2560×1440).

Since I don't know of anyone currently selling a 32" 5k display, the only realistic choice for this size (32") becomes a native 1440p display...

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Ingerman wrote:
"If I ditch my 2015 27" iMac I want a bigger screen. This seems to fit the bill."

Be careful about that display.
Not the quality -- the resolution.

32" at 4k is going to give you a display that "looks like" 1080p (but in HiDPI mode).
That means that effectively, the "perceived pixels" will be larger -- as in "blown up".
You may not be satisfied with that.

On the other hand, 32" at 1440p will look properly-sized (at least to me) -- BUT -- it's going to be "an interpolated image" (the default resolution of the display is 3840x2160).
What this means in practical terms is that the Mini's integrated GPU is going to "work harder" to scale that image, and others here have complained about the speed and smoothness of the display when viewing scaled images.

Speaking only for myself, I would like a 32" display, also.
But it will have to be either 5k (to keep the perceived pixel size reasonable), or "straight 1440p" (which is native 2560×1440).

Since I don't know of anyone currently selling a 32" 5k display, the only realistic choice for this size (32") becomes a native 1440p display...

Do not get a 1440p 32" screen. The pixel density is truly awful. If you have just one monitor, 32" 4K scaled to 'looks like 1440p' will be fine, providing you have 16GB+ of RAM.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm still a little surprised that Apple didn't announce a monitor line along with the Mini. Maybe whenever they get around to the new Pro and/or the rumored modular Mac?
There are 100 different monitors that you can attach to a MacMini. An Apple sticker won't improve it. I can get 1920x1080 for £75, big monitors 34 inch, 3440x1440 for under £600, 4K from around £300, 5K for, well, lots. There is no "best". You decide what you want, and you pay for it.

Reactions: gusping

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
gusping wrote:
"Do not get a 1440p 32" screen. The pixel density is truly awful."

That depends on the individual.
I'm writing on my Mac Mini which is connected to a 27" display running 1080p (1920 x 1080).

It's just fine for my old eyes -- I -PREFER- the "slightly blown up" image that one gets at this resolution on a 27" display.

If I move to a 32" display running 1440p, the pixel size will actually become SMALLER, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to adapt to the smaller sized fonts (displayed at "normal" sizes).

I also have a MacBook Pro retina, and for all the hoo-ha about a retina display being "sharper and clearer" (it is), I STILL can have difficulty discerning text on it because of the small point sizes.

I PREFER "larger and grainier".
I can't discern small text, regardless of how "sharply" it's displayed.

Again, it's a personal preference.

Reactions: Duncan68

Beancamel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Northeast, CT
so the LG / Apple specific monitors looks tempting but what else should i consider (lets say under $800) just want to consider my options. i'm a monitor newbie.

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
so the LG / Apple specific monitors looks tempting but what else should i consider (lets say under $800) just want to consider my options. i'm a monitor newbie.

I setup my MacMini (i5/16/256) yesterday with the LG4K Ultrafine and am blown away with the screen & build quality.
It's simply amazing, as it should be, for the price.

Everything from waking from sleep, shutting down, & startups work perfectly with no lag. My main concerns with going with a non Apple optimized monitor.

Its dark out as I type this response and nearly fried my eyes with the 500 nit brightness. I've now setup nightshift in Mojave for a better evening experience.

Again, just an incredible monitor imo

Dr. Dr. Evil

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
Munich, Germany
I setup my MacMini (i5/16/256) yesterday with the LG4K Ultrafine and am blown away with the screen & build quality.
It's simply amazing, as it should be, for the price.

Everything from waking from sleep, shutting down, & startups work perfectly with no lag. My main concerns with going with a non Apple optimized monitor.

Its dark out as I type this response and nearly fried my eyes with the 500 nit brightness. I've now setup nightshift in Mojave for a better evening experience.

Again, just an incredible monitor imo
may be i missed this info, but which size of the LG do you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.