Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daylincooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
I own a small video business and need a good monitor to pair with my mac studio. I am not a colorist but do need accurate colors for my video work. I am so torn with all the different displays... I just want something that looks good and will be accurate. For me it's between the Studio Display, Dell UltraSharp, Asus ProArt, or a BenQ model. Ideally I would like a 32 inch display but I know 4k is a pain with scaling. If the best option is the studio display I don't have an issue with that but I'm looking for some suggestions.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I chose Dell Ultrawide 40" 5K2K monitor. Ultrawide is much more useful for video editing than approx. 16:10 screens. Really spread out the timeline so you have more on screen and less to scroll.

Prior to purchase, I was concerned by all the biased spin about buying anything other than an Apple-branded monitor but- to my very good eyes- this looks as great as the iMac screen it replaced... except now I have all this bonus horizontal work space. Even though the number- 40"- implies it is much larger than the iMac 27", it doesn't feel any taller than the iMac screen- just a LOT wider.

It works great with my Mac Studio and I'm glad I chose this one vs. other options. Besides the primary use of monitor:
  • it has a built-in KVM switch too with many standardized ports instead of only one type,
  • it is not basically married to being used with only Apple stuff and
  • it comes with a flexible stand (tilt, swivel, raise-lower) and is VESA 100mm X 100mm ready
When needed, one particularly good use of that KVM is what I call "old fashioned" boot camp. Attach a PC and I can split the screen to have macOS and Windows running side by side and sharing a keyboard and mouse. Unlike the one-input Studio Display, this one has several inputs (see the diagram of ports on the website).

Most of the time I use it set to 3840 x 1620 HiDPI but for video editing, I'll often go MAX at 5120 x 2160. This is a simple menu selection to switch.

There is no way I would return to a non-ultrawide screen after using this one for the last few months. And I'd buy this one immediately again if I had to get another screen.

What's missing:
  • no front-facing FaceTime camera or microphone at all but Apple just solved that issue by making it easy to use iPhone as a much-higher-quality cam than the "buggy" one built into SD.
  • Speakers are just average but I use much-higher-quality external speakers anyway (including with the iMac this new setup replaced).
  • Not 600 NITS but I can make it plenty bright enough for my eyes. In fact, my ideal brightness setting for where I use it is at 62%.
  • Apple logo/plastic enclosure: I don't care- it's for work productivity, not a fashion statement. I could stick an Apple sticker on it if I needed others to believe it is an all Apple desk.
When you get the hunt narrowed down, I encourage you to take a MB (or even the Studio) to some retailers stocking your favorites, connect and have a look. You shouldn't feel the only game in town is basically 2 choices from Apple. There are MANY other very capable monitor builders in the world. If you test with your own eyes, you can make a clear, objective judgement. Else, if you let the bulk of this crowd get to you, you'll only be able to choose from 2 choices by Apple... because every other screen is proclaimed junk, too <gripe>, etc.

Last edited:

Daylincooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
I chose Dell Ultrawide 40" 5K2K monitor. Ultrawide is much more useful for video editing than approx. 16:10 screens. Really spread out the timeline so you have more on screen and less to scroll.

Prior to purchase, I was concerned by all the biased spin about buying anything other than an Apple-branded monitor but- to my very good eyes- this looks as great as the iMac screen it replaced... except now I have all this bonus horizontal work space. Even though the number- 40"- implies it is much larger than the iMac 27", it doesn't feel any taller than the iMac screen- just a LOT wider.

It works great with my Mac Studio and I'm glad I chose this one vs. other options. Besides the primary use of monitor:
  • it has a built-in KVM switch too with many standardized ports instead of only one type,
  • it is not basically married to being used with only Apple stuff and
  • it comes with a flexible stand (tilt, swivel, raise-lower) and is VESA 100mm X 100mm ready
When needed, one particularly good use of that KVM is what I call "old fashioned" boot camp. Attach a PC and I can split the screen to have macOS and Windows running side by side and sharing a keyboard and mouse. Unlike the one-input Studio Display, this one has several inputs (see the diagram of ports on the website).

Most of the time I use it set to 3840 x 1620 HiDPI but for video editing, I'll often go MAX at 5120 x 2160. This is a simple menu selection to switch.

There is no way I would return to a non-ultrawide screen after using this one for the last few months. And I'd buy this one immediately again if I had to get another screen.

What's missing:
  • no front-facing FaceTime camera or microphone at all but Apple just solved that issue by making it easy to use iPhone as a much-higher-quality cam than the "buggy" one built into SD.
  • Speakers are just average but I use much-higher-quality external speakers anyway (including with the iMac this new setup replaced).
  • Not 600 NITS but I can make it plenty bright enough for my eyes. In fact, my ideal brightness setting for where I use it is at 62%.
  • Apple logo/plastic enclosure: I don't care- it's for work productivity, not a fashion statement. I could stick an Apple sticker on it if I needed others to believe it is an all Apple desk.
When you get the hunt narrowed down, I encourage you to take a MB (or even the Studio) to some retailers stocking your favorites, connect and have a look. You shouldn't feel the only game in town is basically 2 choices from Apple. There are MANY other very capable monitor builders in the world. If you test with your own eyes, you can make a clear, objective judgement. Else, if you let the bulk of this crowd get to you, you'll only be able to choose from 2 choices by Apple... because every other screen is proclaimed junk, too <gripe>, etc.
Thanks for the reply. I had purchased the LG 40WP95C-W 5k2k monitor from Adorama back in march and had it shipped to Canada. Last week the monitor started flickering and then screen burning. Unfortunately LG will not repair the monitor due to it being purchased online in the US and me living in Canada. So I am without a monitor even though it is only 8 months old... I don't think I will be purchasing LG again after this experience. The dell is basically the same screen as the LG. Wish the Dell was a bit cheaper as $3200 Canadian is out of my budget. My budget is about $2300 Canadian. Don't know if you have any other suggestions but its been a crappy week for sure!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Since Studio Display with adjustable stand is about as much, I’ll assume it is ruled out too.

That was a tough luck experience but such stuff happening doesn’t doom all other monitors. Else, reviews of similar bad luck would be abundant. Instead, I’ve overwhelmingly seen very good reviews for this one… which led me to going this way.

Now that a budget max seems clear and assuming you still want 5K for that video editing, I’d point you to the LG 27” Apple basically endorsed in their own stores until they launched their Studio Display. It should be down in that price range if not a little less. Maybe consider a refurbished to get the price down further.

Replacing an LG with another LG may be unappealing but your experience isn’t one had by the vast market of LG monitor buyers based on generally very favorable reviews… and that endorsement from Apple for years. I believe they were the source for iMac 27” 5K screens for many years. One of mine is still sharp in year #10.

Else, if you step to 4K, prices plunge and you might be able to get TWO to use side by side like an ultrawide for that budget.

Lastly, you could check out SD refurbs already in the store if you actually want that one… but the same apples with the Dell I chose, another LG, etc. SD refurb seems it would still above that budget but obviously closer at 10% to 15% off.

Last edited:

Daylincooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
Since Studio Display with adjustable stand is about as much, I’ll assume it is ruled out too.

That was a tough luck experience but such stuff happening doesn’t doom all other monitors. Else, reviews of similar bad luck would be abundant. Instead, I’ve overwhelmingly seen very good reviews for this one… which led me to going this way.

Now that a budget max seems clear and assuming you still want 5K for that video editing, I’d point you to the LG 27” Apple basically endorsed in their own stores until they launched their Studio Display. It should be down in that price range if not a little less. Maybe consider a refurbished to get the price down further.

Replacing an LG with another LG may be unappealing but your experience isn’t one had by the vast market of LG monitor buyers based on generally very favorable reviews… and that endorsement from Apple for years. I believe they were the source for iMac 27” 5K screens for many years. One if mine is still sharp in year #10.

Else, if you step to 4K, prices plunge and you might be able to get TWO to use side by side like an ultrawide for that budget.

Lastly, you could wait out SD refurbs which should show soon if you actually want that one… but the same apples with the Dell I chose, another LG, etc.
I'm not opposed to the Studio Display, it's higher on the price list and is smaller than what I wanted but I'm looking for something ready to go and a company that I will have the least amount of issues with customer support. Do you know if the Studio Display is a good option for video editing and good color accuracy? It doesn't need to be Hollywood level accuracy.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
SD looks pretty great in specs that would matter. There are plenty of reviews online for it. Apple fans here thoroughly gush about it and the other extremists pound away at its flaws.

Your posts read like that’s the one you want. If so, get it, use the 14 days to evaluate it first hand, return it if it doesn’t quite do it for you. I wouldn’t, as that ultrawide form factor is a delight for video editing IMO. But everyone should get what THEY like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.