Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is the best movies app in the app store?

• Showtimes

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Movies.app

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • BoxOffice

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
See topic. AT&T still haven't come through with my iPhone but I'm curious enough about the different opinions on these.

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
More efficient than yet another message board poll would be to going to the App Store and reading the rating and reviews of each of these Apps.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
More efficient than yet another message board poll would be to going to the App Store and reading the rating and reviews of each of these Apps.

They all have a mix of good and bad reviews, which is why I decided to come here and see what everyone thought was the best.

Reading pros and cons of three programs isn't the same as comparing them.

ihateallex

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
Showtimes is the Best Movie App

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I believe Showtimes is the best app.

Now Playing lost my respect with its shady business tactics (link) But the main reason is you can't watch trailers on Now Playing.

Then there's Movies, which is awesome. I really like Movies and its navigation. Plus Flixster is a big company, but that isn't always good. For instance, Movies struggles when it tries to find smaller theaters in medium-to-smaller cities and towns. There is also the hassle of having to enter your location. And then you have to know zip codes! When I'm outside my own zip code, I have no idea what zip code I'm in. No one does. And another thing, I get random HTML codes every now and then when I use Movies. It's annoying. (Article: Movies vs. Showtimes)

Then there's Showtimes, that finds your location automatically. There's trailers, movie posters, and the ability to buy tickets right from the app. Navigation is good, and it's very user friendly. Another sweet thing about Showtimes is when you go to find movie times, the times that are already past for the day disappear. So you don't have useless movie times cluttering the page. I love it. And the best part about all this is it's free!

Showtimes is the best movie app

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
This thread was started in July. What happened to Box Office?
I have tried Movies, and Showtimes. I prefer Showtimes.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Have to vote for Movies...it use to be NowPlaying (Box Office) until it was removed. When it came back up it no longer showed any of my 3 local theaters. I have to use what works and right now Movies fits the bill and shows ALL of my local theaters.

Movies does and has everything I need it to do with trailers and reviews and what is coming in the future. Kickscreen shows me what is coming way down the road. It shows new/old DVD releases and gives all the other necessary info to determine if I am going to the movies or not.

I buy my tickets at the theater and if it is a very popular movie, I have fandango web app ( http://iphone.fandango.com/ ) that takes care of that need. Only used it once so its not a loss not having it available.

You are missing OneTap in your survey. If you search iTunes with "Movies" and then look in Apps...the first four are your listed 3 and OneTap, which I have also used but now seems to be lagging real bad and has frozen twice since todays update.

Amt

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Movies application is the best. Ordering tickets and it's free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.