Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which name do you use

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HRmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Which name do you use on internal SSD drive? The two most obvious names would be ”Macintosh HD” and ”Macintosh SSD”. Of course there are endless possibilities and you can change the name straight from Finder.

”Macintosh HD” is the default name by Apple but technically SSDs are not HDs by the original definition. I have used the name Macintosh SSD.

I’m curious to know what names do people use these days on internal drive and why.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Which name do you use on internal SSD drive? The two most obvious names would be ”Macintosh HD” and ”Macintosh SSD”. Of course there are endless possibilities and you can change the name straight from Finder.

”Macintosh HD” is the default name by Apple but technically SSDs are not HDs by the original definition. I have used the name Macintosh SSD.

I’m curious to know what names do people use these days on internal drive and why.
When I get my next MacBook Pro, I planned on renaming the Macintosh HD to either “Hal 9000” or “LCARS”.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I just rename mine after each major version upgrade name so this one is CAT SSD, also for a tiny throwback to the cat naming years until next year.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Name the drive ANYTHING you want.
But make sure the name is meaningful to you.

I would use no spaces in a drive name.
This way, makes it easier to enter the name into the terminal app if you ever need to do that.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I call one of mine "2018 MBP" and the other "Clix Pix's MacBook 2017". I also found a photo of each machine and use that as the icon rather than the default one of a disk.

External drives I name according to the function they will serve and/or the contents ("Archival Backup, Photos", or "Supplementary Drive").

Reactions: MacUser2525

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I use Terminal quite a bit so I don't like spaces in my volume names and I like to use all lowercase for faster typing. Also, I use file sharing a lot between my household's machines so when a remote Mac's drive is mounted and shows on a Desktop, I like to have a name that won't confuse me with the local machine's volumes and will remind me of which machine it is actually connected to.

I use names like:
imac-boot
imac-hdd
macmini-boot
macmini-media
macbook-boot

It's interesting to see what other people have chosen!

Reactions: sgtaylor5

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I like to use Greek gods, Demi Gods, Titans, Heroes, &c. For names of computers, devices and network names.

Names like
Chronos
Hermes
Prometheus

Once OS X came out I stopped using two word names. Because of typing it in Terminal.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I've two different drive names right now, both internal boot volumes.
I am currently going with monsters, so "Kraken" is one (that takes me down
The other, also a "monster": Torkemada
(I know it's not the right spelling, but it's only for me, and I know why :) )

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
BorgData or BorgNode - something Star Trek related. I don’t think I’ve named mine. I name my external disks - Borg Node ####### or Data Node ####. Yeah makes using it via terminal not so fun but most of my external drives are either ccc or tm backups.

Reactions: revmacian

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I call 'em what they are:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 10-18-19, 10.19.04 AM.png

Lou

Reactions: Fishrrman

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Name the drive ANYTHING you want.
But make sure the name is meaningful to you.

I would use no spaces in a drive name.
This way, makes it easier to enter the name into the terminal app if you ever need to do that.

Indeed the same with all my files too, no spaces or special characters in the names either. oh HighSierraNVMe is the name of my install to answer the question.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I still use "Macintosh HD".

Meanwhile, this is as good a place as any to ask: Back in the day of the Mac LC range, every machine I saw had the drive named "Elsie". Is that an official Apple name, or was it something the local distributor did?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I still use "Macintosh HD".

Meanwhile, this is as good a place as any to ask: Back in the day of the Mac LC range, every machine I saw had the drive named "Elsie". Is that an official Apple name, or was it something the local distributor did?

My guess is that people were playing with the sound of saying "LC," making it into the name of "Elsie," a natural move which flows off the tongue. I used to work at the Library of Congress, usually referred to as LC, and when talking about my workplace with my husband, I fondly referred to it as "Elsie." In fact, many years later, I still think of that wonderful national library as "Elsie"! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.