Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
My wife and I like to help people from time to time. Well there’s a young woman who works at our local grocery store who has had a very rough 3 years. Her mom died, she lost everything when hurricane Florence hit, her new car was totaled, and her father was just diagnosed with cancer. She has a prepaid straight talk Galaxy S3 and screen is cracked. We are thinking about getting her a new phone. I would not want to spend more than 275-300. The qualities I would look for is a great screen, powerful processor, and a good camera. I know jack about androids. Thanks.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Samsung Galaxy A51 is midrange, but very feature rich, for $300 new.

But I recommend the Pixel 3a. A used one at BH Photo is at $300. Amazon Warehouse will have some used ones for below $300 + tax.

While the Pixel 3 is a better phone than the 3a, I was disappointed that Google immediately stopped updating the original Pixel exactly at the 3 years mark (as promised), even though the phone was still capable. The 3a is newer than the 3 by half a year, so it's possible Google will update the 3a longer into the future. Pixel will have better camera and longer software support than the Galaxy A51.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and AdamNC

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
A51 all the way this is a modern feature rich phone with latest OS, Samsung even outpace pixel of late with updates

This is about the average user who will get similar experience to phones costing 3 or even 5x more where only us phone nerds will argue the toss on spec's and camera features

For overall enjoyment A51 with that new and latest feeling that only comes with being current

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Now to go find a A51. Called a few local places they are out of stock or back ordered. Guess it really is a good deal.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I'd just like to say what a nice thing it is you're doing and I hope her life picks up.

Reactions: MarkX

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Got her the A51 and a one month unlimited card through AT&T. They were the only ones who had it and would allow it to be a gift. She was sobbing and greatly appreciated it. I helped her set up. And transferred her stuff from her old phone. She loved it. Her dad is in the hospital so knowing she has a phone that works and shouldn’t let her down is a huge relief.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
We have to help people out from time to time. I did it cause she deserves it. She has been through hell but always is kind and tries her best to make others smile. Never bitter or rude no matter how hard her days have been.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
We have to help people out from time to time. I did it cause she deserves it. She has been through hell but always is kind and tries her best to make others smile. Never bitter or rude no matter how hard her days have been.
Yep, 1000% agree. That's a lovely gesture.

I gave unopened AirPod Pros to the youngest daughter in the family living downstairs. She's a great person and is studying to be a teacher.

Felt good doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.