Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
I just bought an apple refurb 2020 pro 11 inch and am looking for a case for it.

I use it mostly with the pencil for art and design and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
1) Pad & Quill, magnetic case leather, I have been using their cases for years. Purchased direct from Pad & Quill
2). Just got the Magma series from Tineeowl. It’s less than half the price of my Pad & Quill magnetic case. Yes the Pad & Quill is easier on and off, but the Tineeowl is more protective and easier to hold. The pencil compartment is significantly better for holding onto the Apple Pencil. I saw this on a review by Average Tech Guy, he was very positive about it and said he was going to make it his go to case. The only drawback for me is that I also use a Twelve South Compass Stand and HoverBar Duo. The case must be removed for the HoverBar, and the iPad 12.9 2021 with the Tineeowl case will not fit on the leg slots on the Compass Pro stand. However I have a couple work around for that. Purchased though Amazon Prime.

Updated version, mine does not have the woolen insert, it’s the original Oxford magnetic.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
1) Pad & Quill, magnetic case leather, I have been using their cases for years. Purchased direct from Pad & Quill
2). Just got the Magma series from Tineeowl. It’s less than half the price of my Pad & Quill magnetic case. Yes the Pad & Quill is easier on and off, but the Tineeowl is more protective and easier to hold. The pencil compartment is significantly better for holding onto the Apple Pencil. I saw this on a review by Average Tech Guy, he was very positive about it and said he was going to make it his go to case. The only drawback for me is that I also use a Twelve South Compass Stand and HoverBar Duo. The case must be removed for the HoverBar, and the iPad 12.9 2021 with the Tineeowl case will not fit on the leg slots on the Compass Pro stand. However I have a couple work around for that. Purchased though Amazon Prime.

Updated version, mine does not have the woolen insert, it’s the original Oxford magnetic.
I hope your happy, you just "made" me order the Pad & Quill Bradford in Chestnut for my 2021 iPadPro 12.9". 😆😇

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I hope your happy, you just "made" me order the Pad & Quill Bradford in Chestnut for my 2021 iPadPro 12.9". ??
It’s a fine choice. Their leather is fantastic, I also purchased the cleaner and the balm. After almost a year of use mine looks new. The Tineeowl is a nice at home case and comfortable to use, but the Pan & Quill is the nicest case I have ever owned. It’s simply classy. They each have their use and along with the Magic KeyBoard case make a complete package

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
It’s a fine choice. Their leather is fantastic, I also purchased the cleaner and the balm. After almost a year of use mine looks new. The Tineeowl is a nice at home case and comfortable to use, but the Pan & Quill is the nicest case I have ever owned. It’s simply classy. They each have their use and along with the Magic KeyBoard case make a complete package
Great advice on the cleaner and balm, as I own several of their leather products! I do love how the leather ages and develops it own look with use, but the products you suggest are important to preserve the leather I'm sure! Waterfield Designs staff are also very nice to deal with.

Reactions: Davidalan

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Zugu. I returned Moshi Versacover which was 1st choice on former ipads. Zugu is sturdy, has numerous, stable standing positions, and awesome, secure pencil storage. Worth the $$.

Reactions: papbot and Joselita

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
If you like folio cases, I have this one. In fact, I liked it so much, I bought another. It looks classy and professional, feels quality, and gives very good protection to my iPad. I hated the Apple Smart Folio case. Felt cheap and cost too much.

I also have the Logitech Combo Touch which I really like too.

IMG_8416.jpg
IMG_8417.jpg
IMG_8418.jpg
IMG_8419.jpg
IMG_8420.jpg
IMG_8422.jpg
iPad and Combo Touch.jpg

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I use an Otterbox Defender on my iPad Mini 5 and have had my Mini inside it since day 1. It is available in all sizes of iPad and is an amazing case which provides a ridiculous amount of protection with big rubber bumpers along with a built in screen and Touch ID protector. I took my iPad out recently and it’s still looking as good as new with zero marks or scuffs despite dropping it many times.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I’ve bought a Zugu case for my 11” iPad Pro, it arrived today and I’m very impressed with it. The range of angles it can be placed at are excellent. Had tried a cheaper ESR case but I’m a little concerned about the lack of protection on the sides, otherwise it was a nice case.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If you like folio cases, I have this one. In fact, I liked it so much, I bought another. It looks classy and professional, feels quality, and gives very good protection to my iPad. I hated the Apple Smart Folio case. Felt cheap and cost too much.

I also have the Logitech Combo Touch which I really like too.

View attachment 1965396 View attachment 1965397 View attachment 1965400 View attachment 1965401 View attachment 1965402 View attachment 1965403 View attachment 1965404
Just a thought on folio case which didn’t have a rigid back plate. The iPad can be bend if it stored in backpack loaded with other “heavy” things, like books. I personally use 3rd party magnetic folio case (the back panel is quite rigid) and Apple Magic Keyboard occasionally.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Just get the apple folio, keeps the iPad light and thin and way better than the cheapies, cost more but worth it imo. We have 2 for 11" and 12.9".

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Just get the apple folio, keeps the iPad light and thin and way better than the cheapies, cost more but worth it imo. We have 2 for 11" and 12.9".
I got the smart folio case when I first got my iPad Pro and hated it. Feels cheap and doesn’t protect the sides, and way too expensive for what it is. Apple’s hardware is the best and I don’t mind paying for good hardware, but paying the Apple tax on accessories for a logo when you can find better for less just doesn’t make sense. I returned the smart folio and got a much nicer folio case at Amazon that looks classy and fully protects my iPad for much less. Very happy with it for feel, looks, protection, and value. In fact, I liked it so much I got a second one. They are all made in China anyway, including Apple's. No sense in paying more for accessories when you can find just as nice or better for less. That’s just my 2 cents.;)

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I got the smart folio case when I first got my iPad Pro and hated it. Feels cheap and doesn’t protect the sides, and way too expensive for what it is. Apple’s hardware is the best and I don’t mind paying for good hardware, but paying the Apple tax on accessories for a logo when you can find better for less just doesn’t make sense. I returned the smart folio and got a much nicer folio case at Amazon that looks classy and fully protects my iPad for much less. Very happy with it for feel, looks, protection, and value. In fact, I liked it so much I got a second one. They are all made in China anyway, including Apple's. No sense in paying more for accessories when you can find just as nice or better for less. That’s just my 2 cents.;)
I got mine for free anyway, still better than the cheap plastic folios, nicer micro felt or whatever it is. From my experience anyway and I have had them for 4 years, I prefer my iPad as thin as possible which it does.

Reactions: Southernguy

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
Another vote for the apple smart folio case from me! I know it may not be what you’re looking for but I got mine from eBay for £30 and I love it, not sure I could justify £80 from apple tbh. The sides are open so my pencil sits easily on the side. It’s Slim and magnetic so it’s easy to remove and swap out with my magnetic stand in the kitchen and also magic keyboard. If I’m out and about it‘s in a rucksack in any case.

Reactions: Dealmans
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.