Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Before getting my Mac mini I used Notability and was more than happy, however whilst it updates to the cloud it does not appear to do so with ease and I often find a note created on one device does not appear on the other straight away, or even overnight and the last couple days I have had to resort to switching off the cloud sync and then back on to get working

I want something with similar functionality to Notability
Something that I can record audio from within, during a meeting, and which I can move to that point in the audio by typing part of a written note (so if midway through a meeting with are talking about a person and I write their name down, when I go back to notes, I just tap that name and the audio plays from that moment)

Thanks

CheesegraterPro

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2020
If you want a decent solution that works 95% of the time, I'd recommend checking out GoodNotes 5 and Just Press Record. I have been using this combination for the past couple of months for my university studies and it has worked out surprisingly well. GoodNotes's Mac app is surprisingly good (leagues above Notability's trash), and syncs with my iPad quite well.

I know this isn't quite the integrated solution you are looking for, but having the audio recording bit be its own app has allowed me to have a degree of flexibility I didn't have with Notability.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020
If you want a decent solution that works 95% of the time, I'd recommend checking out GoodNotes 5 and Just Press Record. I have been using this combination for the past couple of months for my university studies and it has worked out surprisingly well. GoodNotes's Mac app is surprisingly good (leagues above Notability's trash), and syncs with my iPad quite well.

I know this isn't quite the integrated solution you are looking for, but having the audio recording bit be its own app has allowed me to have a degree of flexibility I didn't have with Notability.

can I ask, does the audio recording in goodnotes work similar to in notability, in that I can press record and start writing and then, in the completed note, touch something I wrote and it would skip the audio to the point where I originally wrote the note ?

CheesegraterPro

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2020
can I ask, does the audio recording in goodnotes work similar to in notability, in that I can press record and start writing and then, in the completed note, touch something I wrote and it would skip the audio to the point where I originally wrote the note ?
Goodnotes does not have a native recording function like Notability, which is why I brought up Just Press Record. It's not integrated like Notability, but I've found the flexibility granted by separating my recordings from the rest of my notes to be quite useful. The developers behind GoodNotes are also much quicker to issue bug patches, and they also recently made their app "universal", in that a single charge of $7.99 gets you access to the app on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Notability, meanwhile, has been quite lacking in updates and their support is very slow. They also charge you an additional fee ($2) for you to access the Mac app, and if you want handwriting recognition for the iOS app you'll have to pay an additional $3. This used to be a great app but the limitations and drawbacks have become quite clear to me over the past several months and have caused me to mostly move away from the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.