Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbrewer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I'm planning to buy an iPhone SE 2022 128 GB (any color) to upgrade my wife's 7 year old iPhone 6S. She likes the similar form factor of the iPhone SE after trying out multiple models in an Apple store, so we're set on the SE. We're on T-Mobile. I'd like to buy it before the end of the year, but no specific timing required.

What's the cheapest option for buying the phone? I'd consider an Apple-direct refurbished model, but I don't see any stock for the iPhone SE right now. Otherwise, I don't really want to buy used or 3rd party refurbs since she will use it forever, so having a pristine battery is worth it.

The T-Mobile deals on iPhone SE seem to only apply when adding a line, which we are not doing. Apple will have a Black Friday deal where there will be some gift card if you buy certain iPhones (including the SE), but I can't find any details on how much the gift card would be for the iPhone SE. At least the Apple store nearest me has stock, so seems like I could walk in during the Apple Black Friday event and get an SE.

Is there any reasonable way to track Black Friday (or Cyber Monday etc) deals for a specific iPhone model, or do I just keep skimming all the usual suspects (MacRumors, Wirecutter, etc) looking for iPhone SE deals? That seems very labor intensive :)

Thank you for any advice on this!

Corso99

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Upstate New York
You can find used iPhones with batteries still at 100%. Swappa has several SE3s for less than $300. They also sell new phones as well. Avoid eBay.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Way too early to expect the 2022 SE iphones to be listed on the Apple Store site. Seems like they will sell refurbished iphones that are a generation or two behind the current offerings--even so the prices for the refurbished ones are still pretty steep. They do come with a warranty though.

It looks like the Apple Black Friday event will be offering a $50 gift card with qualifying iphone purchases--the SE is qualified. If you are a veteran you can also get 10% off the retail price, and you can still claim the $50 gift card.

I would strongly advise against buying iphones on Craigslist or OfferUp if you will be doing the transaction in person.

I've had good results with a very limited number of iPhone purchases on eBay. In 2017 bought a couple of one year old 64GB 1st gen SEs that had great battery life and served us well for 5 years (finally decided to upgrade hardware), an iPhone 8, and most recently a year old 13 pro (95% battery health). Yes there are some scammers out there, but with the ebay purchase protection if things go sideways and the seller does not provide refund, ebay will investigate and refund purchase price if complaint is valid.

As far as battery health goes, I would imagine that any 2022 SEs that have not been abused or modified would have decent battery health. If you do purchase a used or refurbished 2022 SE and if eventually the battery life goes below 80-ish%, you can bring it into an Apple Store (appointments are recommended) and have them replace the battery for $49 plus tax--takes less than 2 hours. It breathed new life into my 1st gen SE.

If you are looking to buy a used/refurbished phone on ebay, swappa, or other marketplaces make sure that the phone is unlocked from a carrier (if it is not tied to your carrier), is not icloud locked, and is not reported stolen or lost (ask the seller for the devices imei and do an imei check). If the phone is icloud locked and the seller can't unlock it or reported stolen or lost, look for a different phone and probably different seller. If the phone cannot be unlocked from the carrier the previous owner may still be on contract paying for the phone or fell behind in their account before the iphone became unlocked.

I don't think there will be incredible black friday deals on iphone SEs. The carriers will offer "deals" but one usually will end up paying the retail price but over a 24 month period.

Happy successful hunting!

WalterSobchak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
If you are as veteran or can verify with ID.me then you can get 10 percent off new from apple direct.

Failing that I have already seen several on Swappa for very compelling prices.

Its possible that a carrier deal might pop up this friday/monday but I wouldn't bet on it.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
What's the cheapest option for buying the phone? I'd consider an Apple-direct refurbished model, but I don't see any stock for the iPhone SE right now.

I don't think Apple has ever sold iPhone SE models in their refurb store.

The T-Mobile deals on iPhone SE seem to only apply when adding a line, which we are not doing.

T-Mobile also has trade-in deals but the oldest qualifying iPhone trade right now is the 7.

Apple will have a Black Friday deal where there will be some gift card if you buy certain iPhones (including the SE), but I can't find any details on how much the gift card would be for the iPhone SE.

$50.

rbrewer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I bought my SE online via Apple Store at like 1 AM on Black Friday and picked up later that day in an Apple Store. Strangely, I never got an email about the order or my $50 gift card (which should come by email if you order online), so the person at the Apple Store "returned" my new SE and resold it with a physical $50 gift card so all is well.

Reactions: clueless88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.