Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
Me and some of my friends (we're teenagers) are considering giving a cheap apple device to one of our mutual friends so he can be in our group chat. He has an android and doesn't have a service plan so we can't text him. We're thinking $150-250 is a good cost. We were considering an iPod touch 7th gen, an Apple Watch SE or series 7 or similar, an older iPhone like a 6s, 7, or 8, or an older MacBook.
$250 is probably the upper limit of the cost range. Any advice?

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
I bought it from Cricket using the lowest plan, around $30, but you can cancel the plan after one month. If you want it unlocked you need to wait at least 6 months and be playing the minimum plan to qualify. But I thing you can find it unlocked at other places, maybe Amazon?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I'm confused... Your friend has an Android that doesn't have a service plan, but then you're considering an iPod or MacBook. Neither of those would have a service plan either. Also, an Apple Watch cannot be used by itself...it requires an iPhone.

An iPhone or cellular iPad would be your only option if you want him to have a service plan...but who's going to pay the monthly bill?

If a service plan isn't necessary, why not just switch to some other messaging platform that isn't locked into an OS/ecosystem and let him stick with his Android? FB Messenger, WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Snapchat, are a few examples.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I'm confused... Your friend has an Android that doesn't have a service plan, but then you're considering an iPod or MacBook. Neither of those would have a service plan either. Also, an Apple Watch cannot be used by itself...it requires an iPhone.

An iPhone or cellular iPad would be your only option if you want him to have a service plan...but who's going to pay the monthly bill?

If a service plan isn't necessary, why not just switch to some other messaging platform that isn't locked into an OS/ecosystem and let him stick with his Android? FB Messenger, WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Snapchat, are a few examples.
we don't want to give him a service plan, we just want him to have an iMessage-compatible device

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you wanted to play it the safest, perhaps an iPod Touch would be fine

The main hurdle with an iPhone might be that you may or may not need to activate it. You'd either need a SIM card to do that (anything that will fit, maybe even his Android's card) or you could probably get around it with a jailbreak or something. You might not need to activate it, but you should still be aware of that

In terms of iPhones, my personal biased recommendation would be for a 6S, just for true 3D Touch and a functional headphone port. Even my old 4S can use iMessage. Very small screen, though, but pretty pocketable

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
A cheap used WiFi-only iPad or used unlocked iPhone should do the trick... no service plan required - just have to be within WiFi range.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.