Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonya61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
I have a newer MacBook Pro, which I love. I've recently determined that I need to be able to use Publisher for my job. I'm not terribly tech savvy. I've researched Parallels and Boot Camp, but I'm still unsure of the best way to move forward. I just need something simple and easy to be able to use Publisher.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Parallels is probably your best option for not being too technically minded.

Install a trial and see how it goes?

It's easy, just install Parallels, it will install Windows and in no time you are done, install publisher and away you go. Parallels integrates incredibly well into macOS.

Reactions: Queen6

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have a newer MacBook Pro, which I love. I've recently determined that I need to be able to use Publisher for my job. I'm not terribly tech savvy. I've researched Parallels and Boot Camp, but I'm still unsure of the best way to move forward. I just need something simple and easy to be able to use Publisher.
I recommend WINE and Wineskin winery or Winebottler to put a wrapper around Publisher to allow it to run. The final wrapper you create can be used on other MacOS devices simply by copying over the wrapper.

It takes a little more involvement to get it up and running than using Parallels, but Publisher is one of those more popular apps and so there are others out there that have done it.

I don't recommend Boot Camp since it requires rebooting your system into Windows to run Publisher. That would probably cause disruption to your workflows.

I would only recommend Parallels if you are unable to get Publisher to run under some WINE packaging.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Not really sure that is the solution to this situation.
Perhaps. I read the OP's entire post and saw that.

There is no universally acceptable definition of "tech savvy". I don't assume that it means that anything more involved than composing an email (or posting to a tech forum). Researching WINE (and wrappers) won't take much time and is free.

If they can get it and running, it'll be beneficial for them. If not, then all that was lost was a little time, and gaining peace of mind that the cost of Parallels was worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.