Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razorous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
I am planning to format my MacBook Pro to where I can easily switch from OS to OS remotely.

That said the latest doesn’t work for me, where you need to physically press the option key after rebooting to select the boot options.

I know that apfs started on High Sierra which requires pressing option, but I cant get it Sierra to select Startup Disk from Preferences. Is this because Windows 10 is not letting me, or do I just need to have Windows 7 or a older version OS X?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Windows won't allow you to see the APFS system partition (not yet, anyway)

Is there any possibility that you could use a virtual machine solution, such as Parallels, which makes it easy to go between macOS and Windows, which is just running as an app.
Is there some technical reason that you really need to reboot completely from one system to the other?

razorous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Windows won't allow you to see the APFS system partition (not yet, anyway)

Is there any possibility that you could use a virtual machine solution, such as Parallels, which makes it easy to go between macOS and Windows, which is just running as an app.
Is there some technical reason that you really need to reboot completely from one system to the other?

Aside from cost for the software, I wanted to the option to run the OS natively, network administration, etc.

Mac OS, or should I say OS X Sierra still uses Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which shouldn't be the case. I think they first introduced APFS when Mac OS High Sierra was released.

When I reboot from Windows Bootcamp to OS X, it works just fine. But when I reboot from OS X to Windows Bootcamp, I get "No bootable device, please press any key" on a black screen. The only way I can get to Windows again from OS X is by pressing the option keys.

Any ideas?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Aside from cost for the software, I wanted to the option to run the OS natively, network administration, etc.

Mac OS, or should I say OS X Sierra still uses Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which shouldn't be the case. I think they first introduced APFS when Mac OS High Sierra was released.

When I reboot from Windows Bootcamp to OS X, it works just fine. But when I reboot from OS X to Windows Bootcamp, I get "No bootable device, please press any key" on a black screen. The only way I can get to Windows again from OS X is by pressing the option keys.

Any ideas?

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers: https://support.apple.com/downloads/bootcamp-windows-drivers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.