Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Hi all, I'm looking at upgrading my 2017 12" MB to an M1 Air. This will make me lose my test program (not supported for last 2 versions of Max OS) for teaching, Exam View. I'm considering picking up a cheap windows PC for ease of test writing. Challenge is that I haven't used a Windows computer in a long time. Which company will give a somewhat close trackpad experience to the MacBook? I've thought about just picking up a cheap compact desktop off Woot, but the problem is I don't have a monitor I use, so I'd end up at the same price (or more) as a laptop anyways.

I also could just keep the 2017 MB and run windows off it

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Windows recognizes my Apple Trackpad 2. Not cheap.

I had to trade in my 2015 MacBook, $240, and chose mac mini Intel i5/16/512 so I can run Windows or MacOS - and upgrade RAM.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'd just use a mouse. I've never used a Windows laptop where I liked the trackpad enough to not carry around a mouse with me.

I've heard that the Dell XPS 13 and Razor are very good for Windows laptops. I saw several M1 to Windows (Intel Gen 11) laptops and I kept hearing the statement - it's very good for a Windows laptop on the trackpads. If you must use the trackpad, you could VNC into the PC from the MacBook or use Synergy.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
At the moment I have a Logitech hometheater keyboard that has a trackpad built-in.
The only plus I can give it is that it's right there when needed.
It is not very accurate.
It is not very responsive.
It doesn't even always work.
It is extremely mediocre for where I guess I was expecting this product to be.

I am debating trying the magic trackpad 2, if I can find a keyboard/trackpad tray I like, and the trackpad works any better.
I know it works great on Macs, I just ahve not used one on Windows yet.

This is a living room/console/game computer that is mainly used with a controller so I would like to keep as minimal amount of peripherals on a table as possible but, we'll see what actually works out.
I was wanting the K830 to have been it... but it isn't. For me.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
It's been a few years: but I've had to use both the lower end as well as the most expensive Lenovo laptops: the trackpads were extremly bad to very bad compared to what Apple uses in their laptops.

What I suggest instead: a headless machine (think something like a mac mini but then from the wintel side of things - or even an actual intel based apple mac mini using bootcamp) and use VNC from your mac. That way you can use it from your laptop remotely and use the trackpad in the air.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.