Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davorrr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Hi Folks!

Currently I am controlling my Mac in the basement via ethernet network and Screen Share, in my office on my Mac Mini. I use this for audio production only. No video or game streaming.

It works so far, it's kind of usable, but the performance could be better. The picture/the change is always coming about milliseconds later.

I am now contemplating about switching entirely to a 10gbe network and some capable macs to get a better performance for screen sharing. But I don't know if the performance will be significantly better and justify the costs.

I know there are also some software solutions promising a better performance, but I don't like paying each year. I'd prefer an app I can buy and use forever.

Do you have any ideas? Any experience with this? Thanks! All the best in 2022!

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Hey. There are lots of options...but I have never seen anything that was substantially faster than its peers...other than JollyFast VNC. It has been years since I used it, but back then, it was better than any other remote Mac tool I had seen and worth the cost (IMHO).

I see it is still actively developed, and a free demo. Give it a whirl and see what you get?

I would expect some latency regardless, so hard to justify the expense of new 10G network...but perhaps somebody with experience can weigh in this.

Reactions: davorrr

Olivier faure

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
Try to install LittleSnitch on the server, it drastically improve speed with ARD, I'm not sure why, basically it stops traffic but your box must already do it...

I install on all my Macs only for speed (and security too finally, it's an easier way to manage which port is open etc...)

You can install it remotely, fix the rules and activate it.

You have 2 rules to had : One for User processs and the other for All process, allow all incoming access for only your IP. After That you can activate it.

davorrr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Try to install LittleSnitch on the server, it drastically improve speed with ARD, I'm not sure why, basically it stops traffic but your box must already do it...

I install on all my Macs only for speed (and security too finally, it's an easier way to manage which port is open etc...)

You can install it remotely, fix the rules and activate it.

You have 2 rules to had : One for User processs and the other for All process, allow all incoming access for only your IP. After That you can activate it.
Thanks! Can you please share a screenshot with the settings? Thanks!!!

davorrr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Hey. There are lots of options...but I have never seen anything that was substantially faster than its peers...other than JollyFast VNC. It has been years since I used it, but back then, it was better than any other remote Mac tool I had seen and worth the cost (IMHO).

I see it is still actively developed, and a free demo. Give it a whirl and see what you get?

I would expect some latency regardless, so hard to justify the expense of new 10G network...but perhaps somebody with experience can weigh in this.
Which MAc OS do you have (local & remote)?
And which encoders did you enable?

I got very leggy experience currently with Big Sur on both machines via Jolly Fast, 1GB ethernet, 2560px screen resolution.

It reacts like a dead horse, after 2-3 seconds. Much slower than the built-in free Screen Share.
Maybe I'm missing something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.