Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I have a 15 Pro and S9 Watch. Looking for a charging dock station and it seems there are the under $30 ones and also the $150+ ones. It seems like reviews are pretty mixed on all of them.

I've also been resistant to wireless charging on iPhone because of battery degradation, but that's the only option with watch and it would be very convenient to have a wireless stand for everything.

Which one should I get?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I ordered Anker cube on Amazon. There was a flash sale couple day ago. Anker makes pretty good charger, I like this one since it's compact, I can travel with it.

You can also check Belkin Charger too.

I would be careful with Belkin right now. There’s a thread circulating on MR with many customers waiting for replacements or refunds because the stand stop charging. I received a refund last week, because my phone and AirPods stopped charging. My Apple Watch was fine.

Reactions: Asthmatic Kitty

Tb87Bln

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2016
I have a 15 Pro and S9 Watch. Looking for a charging dock station and it seems there are the under $30 ones and also the $150+ ones. It seems like reviews are pretty mixed on all of them.

I've also been resistant to wireless charging on iPhone because of battery degradation, but that's the only option with watch and it would be very convenient to have a wireless stand for everything.

Which one should I get?
Did you find something?

I am in the same boat…
So far I have never used wireless charging but looks like it’s the only option if you want something combined…
I’d be okay with a stand only for my watch but I want something more solid than those very light and cheap plastic stands

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Did you find something?

I am in the same boat…
So far I have never used wireless charging but looks like it’s the only option if you want something combined…
I’d be okay with a stand only for my watch but I want something more solid than those very light and cheap plastic stands

After looking at reviews of cheap ~$20 ones and expensive ~$150 ones, it looks like they all have high failure rates. The idea of getting a compact 3-in-1 wireless charger seems great but even the ones sold by Apple seem to break frequently.

I came to the conclusion the only one I’d actually buy is the frame only ones where you pop in the official Apple MagSafe puck for the phone & watch.

I then remembered I don’t actually like wireless charging because of heat & battery degradation issues. I was going to buy a few Apple 20w chargers but didn’t, for the same reason.

I ended up just buying a few 6 foot Anker braided cables that go from USB-A to USB-C and I’m going to plug my phone in every night to the 5w charger. Nice and slow. It’s the best for battery health and I’ll be asleep, so why not?

Reactions: Tb87Bln

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I would go with an actual MagSafe charger rather than one that is merely magnetic or "MagSafe compatible." I've had very good luck with Belkin (notwithstanding one of the above comments). Of course, a charging cable is always best.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I was gifted a watch and phone wireless charging pad recently. I tried it out but when my phone was on it - it would make a faint clicking buzz sound. with it being right next to my head as I sleep, I cant bring myself to continue using it.

I have seen the new nightstand feature and I like how its off until you lean towards it in the night - brilliant feature. So now im looking for a stand for my watch and phone that can take my phone on its side. One that doesn't make a buzzing noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.