Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4pp13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
B44F7EC5-56D8-4364-AC2A-675225C5ADA3.jpeg
481F44A2-B3ED-41BD-A5AA-5632E8A247F8.jpeg
I have been looking at trade in prices for iPhone and was wondering what scratches like these would rate as.

Screen protector is what’s cracked in these photos, not actual screen.

It seems a lot of places may consider this type of scratching to in fact be poor condition. Apple thus far seems best then as this rates as full value as far as their systems seem to show.

Perhaps mazuma as well since they seem to be clearest in describing condition expectations.

Amazon seems to have an amazing trade in value but is very murky about whether this fits the condition. I reckon bumping phones is normal wear but perhaps they might reckon this is serious wear.

It’s all very subjective. Any others worth checking out? Any bad or good experiences of particular note with a phone scratched in this manner?

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I would class your phone as being C grade. It’s definitely worse than normal wear. I think A grade is common these days because if you use a case, you’ll automatically avoid scratches. I guess you could try eBay. I have sold a number of phones successfully on there for a decent return. If you are looking to trade your phone in for another, I would suggest that you just go with Apple.

Reactions: 4pp13

BNIB

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
I’d go with Apple if you plan to purchase another iPhone from Apple.

Reactions: 4pp13

4pp13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
I would class your phone as being C grade. It’s definitely worse than normal wear. I think A grade is common these days because if you use a case, you’ll automatically avoid scratches. I guess you could try eBay. I have sold a number of phones successfully on there for a decent return. If you are looking to trade your phone in for another, I would suggest that you just go with Apple.
Yeah, this is definitely where it seemed best to assume worst grade and not be surprised really. Apple seems to be clearest as you can just say no to body in good condition and it still gives you a decent price.

Amazon seems to go extreme, had them drop to about asking 32 should just be auto accepted.

I am trying to avoid ebay as there’s always been too many scammers to deal with.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yeah, this is definitely where it seemed best to assume worst grade and not be surprised really. Apple seems to be clearest as you can just say no to body in good condition and it still gives you a decent price.

Amazon seems to go extreme, had them drop to about asking 32 should just be auto accepted.

I am trying to avoid ebay as there’s always been too many scammers to deal with.
There isn’t much of a difference between a phone in great condition or mediocre condition when trading in with Apple. They’ll just end up refurbishing your phone anyway by switching out the chassis with a brand new one. I’d go with them because it’s hassle free if you want to just upgrade and pay the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.