Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations about which podcast app I should use for my iphone? I'm not a fan of the official apple podcast app so looking for a new one

Last edited:

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
That was pretty conclusive :p haha. I'll check out some reviews of that one then :). Pocket casts seems like a decent one too..anyone used it?

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
Everybody will tell you either Instacast or Downcast, because those two have the most features. Unfortunately, they are downright atrocious. A lesser known app is called Pocket Casts, and while it doesn't have every single feature, it does have most. Plus, it's better designed and is about to be updated to version 4 soon too. I'm a podcast junky, and after trying literally every client, Pocket Casts was the one I stuck with.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Instacast looks pretty good! But it's twice the price of the other two that have been mentioned :(

----------

Everybody will tell you either Instacast or Downcast, because those two have the most features. Unfortunately, they are downright atrocious. A lesser known app is called Pocket Casts, and while it doesn't have every single feature, it does have most. Plus, it's better designed and is about to be updated to version 4 soon too. I'm a podcast junky, and after trying literally every client, Pocket Casts was the one I stuck with.

Pocket cast is actually the one I was considering to begin with :) if you say you've tried them all and that's the best then I may have to give that one a go unless anyone else has any input..

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
+1 on Downcast. I've used quite a few (Instacast, Podcaster, downcast, Pocket Casts, and a couple others). I was a fan of Instacast, but Downcast won we over with the ease of managing played/unplayed podcasts and playlists. Instacast was a close second, and Pocket Casts was by far my least favorite app.

Last edited:

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I ended up going for pocket cast :). Thanks for all your opinions though guys, they were a great help! In the end it just looked like pokey cast was the one for me :)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Downcast is great - how anyone can think its atrocious is beyond me, I've tried nearly all of them, and Downcast has served me well since Apple buggered up podcast playback in ios5. Sooo glad Apple messed up, probably would have stuck to using the default music app (this was pre-Podcast app days) when the alternatives are infinitely better. Don't like Instacast personally, I found it crashy and the UI I found to be style over substance. Sure, Downcast doesn't look fancy, but it does everything I want and quickly.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I have tried all of them (Instacast, Downcast, Pocketcasts, Podcaster 5, etc). Downcast to me is a bloated old school 2007 UI and is in need in a refresh. Instacast has a much cleaner UI but I have had a lot of problems with Vemedio's new cloud sync. Pocketcasts doesn't currently support auto downloads so that's out for me. PC is currently being re-designed and if the iOS version looks anything like the new Android version 4 to be released this month then it's going to be killer. Shifty Jelly is a small shop with 3 devs so they decided to Android first and iOS will follow later this year.

After all that being said, I am currently using Apple's podcast App. I have had no issues with podcasts being updated, downloading, and syncing via iCloud. I also enjoy that downloaded podcasts are part of the native DB in iOS that is recognized by my cars' Audio system when connected via USB which means I can browse the podcasts content using the car system. I mostly use BT in the car, but it's nice to have that feature when charging and connected via wire.

JJBro1

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
I've tried both instacast and downcast and I have to say the best app is icatcher! Almost everything is customizable from artwork to playlists. It's excellent.

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London
Sheepy how's your experience with it vs stock ios app as I'm thinking of getting it too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.