Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Up until now I have been using a Magic Trackpad to work on my Mac, including Logic Pro production work, however I have found that sometimes it either slows me down, or on occasion it gets in the way if I am working quickly.
For example, if I am moving audio regions around (with three fingers) and I am not careful to lift the fingers fully or quickly enough, the track will (obviously) remain attached to the pointer and it will get dragged to an undesired position.
Basically I love the trackpad but it is not great for fast work, so I have thought I should be going back to the old trusty mouse but I don't want to lose the gestures.
The obvious solution would be a Magic Mouse. Convenience of a mouse with the additional benefit of gestures just like the trackpad.

Has any of you been using the Magic Mouse with Logic? How do you find it? and most importantly has it improved your work accuracy and speed compared to the trackpad?
Any other mouse (other than Apple's that is) that will work well with a Mac and retain gestures?

Thanks

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Instead of three finger dragging, try using drag lock. That way you can lift your finger mid-drag, which is like lifting and repositioning a mouse during a drag.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.03.18 AM.png

Reactions: Wando64

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Instead of three finger dragging, try using drag lock. That way you can lift your finger mid-drag, which is like lifting and repositioning a mouse during a drag.

View attachment 1918370

This is interesting, but I am so used to the three finger drag that I find it a bit finicky.
I might experiment with it though.

Reactions: chabig

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I couldn’t resist the Black Friday Amazon discount on the Magic Mouse and I got one.
I figure I might just as well try and see how I get along

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I use a Magic Mouse for Logic Pro (and everything else), and it works great for me. I used to have a Magic Trackpad, but I never became proficient with it.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I use a Magic Mouse for Logic Pro (and everything else), and it works great for me. I used to have a Magic Trackpad, but I never became proficient with it.
I have been using the mouse for a while now.
It is quite a change as I was the trackpad for many years before.

It is not perfect, but all in all I am actually working faster, however I wish the ergonomic of the Magic Mouse was better.
Couldn’t they do it a bit bigger?

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
I have switched to the regular mouse for sheer precision (I don't find MM particularly precise), but I miss its 360º movement and fast moving to the left/right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.