Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onno

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Eindhoven
I'm going on a trip to NY in a few weeks and I was wondering which provider has the best pre-pay solution & coverage in NY. I'm not going to call or text, I'm just going to use it for the data. :)

I was looking at yourkarma.com, but I would prefer to just use another sim in my phone. Does anyone has a tip?

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
I'm going on a trip to NY in a few weeks and I was wondering which provider has the best pre-pay solution & coverage in NY. I'm not going to call or text, I'm just going to use it for the data. :)

I was looking at yourkarma.com, but I would prefer to just use another sim in my phone. Does anyone has a tip?

How long are you gonna be in NY?

You've got 2 (cheap) options, both on t-mobile, the $30 plan with unlimited text & data (data limited to 5GB a month, after that it goes to EDGE speeds) with 100 minutes

Or, $3 a day plan, with unlimited everything, with data limited to 200 a day on 4g speeds (after that it goes to EDGE speeds).

Last edited:

Onno

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Eindhoven
Thanks!! I'll be there for 10 days, I looked at both the sites. The T-mobile offer looks quite ok, but any idea about the coverage? T-Mobile here in the Netherlands is quite bad. Is there a big difference between ATT and T-Mobile in NY? I'll be in Brooklyn (dumbo/Williamsburg/Greenpoint) most of the time, but will probably need the data for google maps the most on Manhattan ;)

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
I've had both, and they both have similar coverage in Manhattan. Both have LTE, AT&T is a little bit faster on the data, but the only decent plan for prepaid is $60, and has limited data.

T-Mobile doesn't have LTE when leaving NYC, it just has HSPA+

Onno

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Eindhoven
I've had both, and they both have similar coverage in Manhattan. Both have LTE, AT&T is a little bit faster on the data, but the only decent plan for prepaid is $60, and has limited data.

T-Mobile doesn't have LTE when leaving NYC, it just has HSPA+
Thanks! Looks like I'll be going for t-mobile, on twitter they told me it can be arranged within a few minutes in any tmobile store :)

Onno

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Eindhoven
Walked into the T-Mobile shop near Union Square and walked out with a working 4G connection a few minutes later. And it was quite cheap :)

Sure connection on the subway wasn't great, but for the rest it was quite awesome :)

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Walked into the T-Mobile shop near Union Square and walked out with a working 4G connection a few minutes later. And it was quite cheap :)

Sure connection on the subway wasn't great, but for the rest it was quite awesome :)

It depends what subway station you're at. The larger stations have cell phone coverage on the platforms.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC

Enjoy!

Did you get the $30 plan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.