Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5300cs said:
Now that I look at that closer, that looks painful. You're a brave person to emu XP on a G4. Even with the new VPC on my G5 it's bad.

VPC 6.1, BTW. I have 768MB of RAM, but I still generate tens of thousands of pageouts whenever I load WinXP. Quite rare, but sometime necessary...and when I emulate System 7.5.5 you should see the pageouts a second. I might try that again soon just to post it for you. Oh, and don't try this unless you quit everything else...otherwise, you have never ever seen a PowerBook run so slow.

Sidenote: I never pageout...I can count on one hand the number of times I have accumulated more than 3 pageouts.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Ugh, my Kanga is now totally on the fritz :mad: :(

I tried installing 8.0, 8.5 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 and NONE of them seem to work. I cannot get anything installed properly. I get error messages like 'could not copy xxxxx file' and so on. When I do get it finally installed (I installed 8.0 from the original CD it came with) it takes about 5 minutes to boot, then dies with a error message asking to restart. :confused: Did that 3-4 times and a different message each time.

WTF is going on ??????? :mad:

5300cs said:
Ugh, my Kanga is now totally on the fritz :mad: :(

I tried installing 8.0, 8.5 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 and NONE of them seem to work. I cannot get anything installed properly. I get error messages like 'could not copy xxxxx file' and so on. When I do get it finally installed (I installed 8.0 from the original CD it came with) it takes about 5 minutes to boot, then dies with a error message asking to restart. :confused: Did that 3-4 times and a different message each time.

WTF is going on ??????? :mad:

Well try to do a clean install and delet/format the drive then install the OS... I had that happent on my 3400c... Good luck...

kettle

macrumors 65816
I found that the last good feeling was 9.0.4, after that, 9.1-9.2.2, it seemed to feel floaty, as if too many changes had been made to allow it to work within 10.0.

I think it depends on what machine you're running on. 9.0.4 is my favourite on a 450 Sawtooth.

redbaron

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2004
I found my PowerMac 4400/200 in a trash pile. It had OS 9.0 installed, which was incredibly slow on it, and chewed up a fairly large proportion of its 32mb RAM. I later installed 8.6 on it, and am truly amazed as to how much better it performs. I also run 8.6 on my iMac 233, which is great too. I've still got 7.1 (with original install disks) on my Classic II, and 6.0 on my SE. 6.0 is nice, but the fact that it hardly runs anything is a bit of a problem. At least on 7.1 you can run the odd reasonably recent bit of software.

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
5300cs
I had something like that on a 1400 once ... if you have access to another "book" install an OS on a pcmcia hdd and put it in yer kanga ( a zip will work also) and see if it will boot fm that!! (should have no probs booting and running on either) If it will I would be very concerned abt my hdd, if not??? I aint had that one but would start by taking out ram just in case.. Ther is alot of other stuff to think abt but I like to start out eliminating the simple stuff :confused:

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I told the seller that it's kaput, and he said send it back to him. Gonna make it his problem now.

What I go throught for the sake of nostalgia :rolleyes:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5300cs...what DO you use that Xserve in you house for?

And sorry about your Kanga. Too bad.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I've actually had very good experiences with OS 9.2.2. I'm running that on my old clamshell, and it runs like a dream. Lots of people seem to have crashes or other types of bugs, but I haven't had one. I highly recommend at least 9.1 or above, since there wasn't that big of a difference as far as the general layout goes upon transitioning from OS 8 to OS 9. Most classing programs require 9.1 or above though, so it might be a good idea to upgrade just for compatibility reasons. Have fun! :cool:

Mechcozmo said:

Well I have 8 Rackmount Units in my Home a G4, 24 Port 10/100/1000 Hub, Router/Firewall, Surge Protecter, CRT Rackmount, a Keyboard pull out Racmount.... Well I have 18 Computers that get mainily used on our network, plus printers... Well I think "5300cs" should get a 5300ce :D ... But at any rate we all do some crazy stuff for "Apple Collecables" but thats life :rolleyes: ...

Post Credit:
http://applecollectables.com/
---------------- Just so I don't Sue my self :cool: ---------------

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Wow, it's pretty nice to read from the guys who come from the OS 7 days... I would like to try 8.6 right now... I feel a bit empty now because I didn't enjoy those days...

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
I have to agree with what most of the people here think. 8.6 was very good and very stable. When my G3 was runnung 8.6 it almost never crashed. As soon as I updated it to 9.1 and later to 9.2 it started getting way more unstable.

I joined OS X with Jaguar (running on my G3 and it was good but it slowed the machine down altough it had 640 MB of RAM, used to be a lot!)
I am now runiing Panther on a G5 with 1.5 ghz of RAM and I could not be more happy.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Mechcozmo said:

Haha :D For a while it was a mail/web/ftp/ssh server. Now it's sitting quietly doing nothing but looking pretty. I thought about selling it, but then realized I'd probably never get the chance to buy one again so I'm keeping it.

Sending off my Kanga tomorrow night. If it can't be fixed, the guy's gonna gimme my ¥¥¥ back.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Mechcozmo said:

Just got an email from the seller. He too, said that the drive was fricked. He tossed in a 6gig drive and put 8.6 on it. Said he send it off tomorrow :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5300cs said:
Just got an email from the seller. He too, said that the drive was fricked. He tossed in a 6gig drive and put 8.6 on it. Said he send it off tomorrow :)

Kewl. Where do you go around buying an Xserve whilst in Japan? Those things are rather expensive...

And I just installed Win98 in VPC today. I'm planning on emulating all four OS's at once, taking a screen shot, and then taking a screen shot of my pageouts. Hehe. I like to torture myself. At least I'm not doing this on my iMac.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Mechcozmo said:
Kewl. Where do you go around buying an Xserve whilst in Japan? Those things are rather expensive...

Full price they are, yeah. I got it at a store called SoftMap in Akihabara, Tokyo. I was there for my wife's friend's wedding and had some free time. I went to Akihabara (you have to when you're in Tokyo or you're not a real computer person) and went to SoftMap. Upstairs on the 2nd floor they had 6 Xserves: 3 1Ghz models & 3 1.33 Ghz models. The 1Ghz model I got was about $1000, the 1.33 was $2000. How could I pass up an opportunity like that?

It's really loud and really heavy, but I don't regret buying it at all. Right now it sits in its box waiting until I get a rack or head back to the States.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5300cs said:
Full price they are, yeah. I got it at a store called SoftMap in Akihabara, Tokyo. I was there for my wife's friend's wedding and had some free time. I went to Akihabara (you have to when you're in Tokyo or you're not a real computer person) and went to SoftMap. Upstairs on the 2nd floor they had 6 Xserves: 3 1Ghz models & 3 1.33 Ghz models. The 1Ghz model I got was about $1000, the 1.33 was $2000. How could I pass up an opportunity like that?

It's really loud and really heavy, but I don't regret buying it at all. Right now it sits in its box waiting until I get a rack or head back to the States.

Nice. That is cheap for just about any dual G4 mac, not to mention a server...

On a different note, Win 98 is being a pain to update and everything. My first install did so without drivers :eek: So I needed to reinstall, and am now updating. Sigh. But the good side is that is is running faster than the Pentium III that I used to use years ago. :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Macmaniac said:
System 7.5, I ran off 7.5 on my Performa for 4 years and it only gave me a few problems. Maybe I should make an 8.5 machine with iTunes 1. And some other cool vintage stuff. Can you download iTunes 1 from anywhere?

You need 8.6 and a hacked installer for iTunes v.1. That website had all the info you need. (There was, BTW, a link to a website a page back or so that had the info to do that.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.