Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Hi,

I've been using TeamViewer on the iPad Pro but not Pro updated so the keyboard is horrible and the aspect ratio isn't the same as the iPad so it doesn't fill the screen.

Splash top screenshots suggest it fills the screen? Is that right? Does it allow swiping an app in from the side? Keyboard smaller?

Any other apps people have tried? Not sure about a yearly subscription for remote access... That hurts a bit to be honest :/

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yeah I know. Paying for software and services is painful. They should all be free, and the developers should be happy as homeless people...

Reactions: Ghost31

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Not at all... But charge me a one off price unless you have an ongoing cost for my use.

So Dropbox I pay monthly as my files sitting on there servers cost them every month.

Me downloading Splashtop once is me paying for their development time. Me then using it year on year doesn't increase that cost.

It's just my view - and if it's worth the annual subscription and is quickly updated, fine - hence the questions.

If it's split screen and Pro optimised already there putting ongoing subscriptions money to good use...

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Not at all... But charge me a one off price unless you have an ongoing cost for my use.

So Dropbox I pay monthly as my files sitting on there servers cost them every month.

Me downloading Splashtop once is me paying for their development time. Me then using it year on year doesn't increase that cost.

It's just my view - and if it's worth the annual subscription and is quickly updated, fine - hence the questions.

If it's split screen and Pro optimised already there putting ongoing subscriptions money to good use...

Remote Desktop Developers have also ongoing costs. How do you think, you are able to access a computer behind a firewall. It just works that easy because they have servers which acts as the "man in the middle".

And I find it a bit strange, that you pay a lot of money for your apple devices (more than you would pay for non-premium hardware and software) and complain about the little fees of software authors...

Reactions: Ghost31

ggosson

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Give Chrome Remote Desktop a try. It's free and will deal with the whole passage through a firewall issue. If you have VPN access into your home network then the Microsoft client is better.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Annual subs are a thing to generate money. Buy once and done works for some companies but not others. Remote desktop software would need more intensive updating. This costs money. Money buy once may not cover.

Remote software has a strong desire to not be on IT crap lists and insecure. Dameware long ago was on this list. and lost business for it as many IT sections had to stop using it for security reasons. Not only that....port(s) it used killed with extreme prejudice on firewalls, routers, switches to make sure its traffic could not flow, I ran GPO's for years to uninstall it if someone tried to sneak it it.

By the time they said hey we fixed it finally and 3rd party IT auditors won't epically fail you outright for using our stuff you can come back now.....many did not come back. Paid to move on, rolling back (costs money again) not happening.

Don't like the price structure replace the remotes with linux clients. terminal application...ssh...some cli voodoo magic and bam done. These can be cheap in the app store.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Annual subs are a thing to generate money. Buy once and done works for some companies but not others. Remote desktop software would need more intensive updating. This costs money. Money buy once may not cover.

Remote software has a strong desire to not be on IT crap lists and insecure. Dameware long ago was on this list. and lost business for it as many IT sections had to stop using it for security reasons. Not only that....port(s) it used killed with extreme prejudice on firewalls, routers, switches to make sure its traffic could not flow, I ran GPO's for years to uninstall it if someone tried to sneak it it.

By the time they said hey we fixed it finally and 3rd party IT auditors won't epically fail you outright for using our stuff you can come back now.....many did not come back. Paid to move on, rolling back (costs money again) not happening.

Don't like the price structure replace the remotes with linux clients. terminal application...ssh...some cli voodoo magic and bam done. These can be cheap in the app store.

What the?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Screens is the best. Bar none. Simple, Touch ID - enabled, iOS 9, multitasking, native iPad Pro res, and works with as close to no overhead as is possible. Only downside currently is it doesn't work with the Smart Keyboard etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.