Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
I thought Safari was meant to be good at blocking out adverts from websites but it seems Safari 12 is even worse unless sites are getting more parasitic over ad revenue at the expense of clean design and clear content.

Is there anything out there safe to use for Safari that is recommended? Google returns lots of results but I don't know what to trust.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
what about Adblock Plus - they say they are better on IOS for now, but will catch up
Adguard extension only is in alpha testing, should see some light next week

ericthered926

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
It might be the best...

...when it becomes open source, so that anyone can look into its inner workings.
Yeah... I don't exactly trust them. I've had AdGuard on my phone for awhile, but they keep changing/removing features and functionality, and they recently stopped updating AdGuard Premium. The app itself doesn't update the filter lists, and in general it doesn't work very well.

Vlad.E.

Suspended
Oct 4, 2017
https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html It is useless for IOS due to the new Appstore policy but it is perfect for Mac
[doublepost=1538764460][/doublepost]
One more thing), Adguard 1.2.1 for IOS works well... google how to downgrade it

Yeah I'm using the free version on both iOS devices. and it has tons of free options and blocks lists, which is great.

I tried the free version 1.5.8 for Mac OS and I couldn't connect to Panera Bread Wifi....lol. Other wise it seems to be working ok. Too expensive though for Mac OS.

Last edited:

purgatori_sakkara

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2018
Australia
Thanks to those who suggested Wipr. I've been looking to ditch Adguard for a while now, because I have always disliked the way that the app overrides the browser's native SSL certificate signing with its own, but I never really gravitated to uBlock origin, either. Wipr seems like the perfect replacement for me.

nn88

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
I thought Safari was meant to be good at blocking out adverts from websites but it seems Safari 12 is even worse unless sites are getting more parasitic over ad revenue at the expense of clean design and clear content.

Is there anything out there safe to use for Safari that is recommended? Google returns lots of results but I don't know what to trust.

OP nothing is working on youtube. I've documented this in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/adblock-plus-not-working.2121621/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.