Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
About Safari extensions:

I've been wanting to use dark mode for SAFARI for quite sometime. However most of these extensions are paid, so we can't check how they work. True dark mode has only been made available for iOS/iPADOs using the Firefox browser.

I noticed, too, some free dark mode (Safari extensions), however these don't work as they should. I always mention the infowars.com website as a good example, of the way this site has been designed.

When the extension isn't perfected then the images don't appear, only the background/text are modified.

However I found a "trial" (only works for 25 websites) extension that is working fine on all sites I checked so far. Including INFOWARS.

It's this one:

In-app-purchase is available.

Please send me some input on what you think of these DARK MODE extensions, if this is the best one, if there's something similar for free or paid which is even better.

For my PC I am using https://darkreader.org/

The Macrumors article mentioned DARK READER is also available as a SAFARI extension, however we can't check it out before (it's paid).

In my opinion it's also essential that we have an option to exempt some websites from this to be applied. Perhaps due to personal preferences or the fact the dark mode wouldn't work optimally with them, no matter what.

The (very good) reasons for turning dark mode on are explained in this article:

If you also read PDFs always opt for Acrobat Reader, it's the only known ebook reader which is capable of enabling dark mode for ALL books:

Another good idea would be to check into bias lightning: https://www.howtogeek.com/213464/ho...le-watching-tv-and-gaming-with-bias-lighting/

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonail

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I know there are currently (at least) 16 iOS15 Safari extensions that offer a dark mode option. I've bundled them in this list which includes both paid and free Safari extensions.

Dark Reader is also available on iOS.

Best (paid) options I've read about are:

- Dark Reader (4.99 dollar, pay once)
- Noir (2.99 dollar, pay once)

I'm still a bit hesitant to use these third party extensions though as far as privacy is concerned. I hope Apple will make it available in a future iOS version (probably iOS16).

Reactions: BigMcGuire and max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I know there are currently (at least) 16 iOS15 Safari extensions that offer a dark mode option. I've bundled them in this list which includes both paid and free Safari extensions.

Dark Reader is also available on iOS.

Best (paid) options I've read about are:

- Dark Reader (4.99 dollar, pay once)
- Noir (2.99 dollar, pay once)

I'm still a bit hesitant to use these third party extensions though as far as privacy is concerned. I hope Apple will make it available in a future iOS version (probably iOS16).
Same.

Whyy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2022
I‘ve been using the Nitefall extension but the developer seems to have removed it from the App Store. So now I’m showing that the app has an available update but I can’t update it and it just stays in the list of apps with updates available.

Does anyone know why the dev removed the app? I’m in the US, if that matters.

AnActualMacbookPro

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2023

This works for me and you can buy into a trial that lasts for a few months to make sure you like it. It takes a small amount of time to learn, but once you get it you got it!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I‘ve been using the Nitefall extension but the developer seems to have removed it from the App Store. So now I’m showing that the app has an available update but I can’t update it and it just stays in the list of apps with updates available.

Does anyone know why the dev removed the app? I’m in the US, if that matters.
Same problem here with that app in the Netherlands no longer available even though it shows there was a recent update (4 July v.162).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.