Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
What are the best Horror games / Ghost games / Scary games that you have played on the playstation or xbox that are not zombie shooters. So far I know of The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2 and Ghostwire. I will try these ones first but any others that are generally scary to play on either system? I head of possibly an aliens game but I haven't researched it further.

Just found The Medium which looks interesting.

Last edited:

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I assume you are referring to current gen games. Here are some I recommend. You already mentioned Ghostwire and Medium, and Evil Within. Here are some others:

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - Japanese inspired horror. 5th in the series, but the only one available for current gen systems. Available for Playstaion, Xbox and Switch.

House of Ashes - Much slower paced game. Done by the same developers of Until Dawn, but has some pretty good and unsettling imagery.

Alien: Isolation - Older game, but still well worth playing and atmospheric as hell. One of the few games where chromatic aberration is done to a good effect.

Those should give you a good start. If you are looking for previous gen stuff, I can give far more recommendations.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Thanks for the recommendations. Just got a ps 5. never had playstation before. so there is a lot of playstation 4 backlog also. I will check these out I appreciate the suggestions.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks for the recommendations. Just got a ps 5. never had playstation before. so there is a lot of playstation 4 backlog also. I will check these out I appreciate the suggestions.
Some of those recommendations above, like Alien Isolation is a really janky game that has less gameplay, and way to many cinematic sequences.

If you’re truly looking for a ‘scary game’, look into Resident Evil: The Village (Released in 2021.) I’ve been a gamer for 20 years, and that game absolutely nailed all aspects of what the horror genre should be. If you want serious immersion in any horror video game, you need surround sound that will shake your bones. (I have a 7.1 JBL twin set up that has enough power to send vibrations through your body.:D) I’m a massive critic of games in general, and that game scored a 10 out of 10 with me on every level.

You’ll thank me later.

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I usually pass on cinematic sequences so maybe I will pass on the Alien than if its heavy on them. I will look at resident evil the village instead.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
They have a non-VR version, but I played a VR demo of Resident Evil 7: Biohazard and it was scary as hell.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I usually pass on cinematic sequences so maybe I will pass on the Alien than if its heavy on them. I will look at resident evil the village instead.

Both RE7, and RE8 are absolutely amazing games. I didn't include them because I wasn't sure if you might have considered them "zombie" type games. Plus I like to shine on some lesser known franchises. (Self admitted shameless Fatal Frame fan).

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I just heard about Fatal Frame right now. I missed the end of your text. There looks to be more than one. I will check some YouTube videos. *edit. I bought the digital version of Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water. I was looking for a hardcopy but they were all 70 dollars on eBay for Asia version only and no US stores had it. The digital version was only 40 so that's not bad compared to the other prices I was seeing.

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Have you tried A Plague Tale: Innocence? There are definite horror elements, particularly if you have a thing about rats. Very underrated, and it’s on xbox game pass.

Reactions: kaioshade

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Have you tried A Plague Tale: Innocence? There are definite horror elements, particularly if you have a thing about rats. Very underrated, and it’s on xbox game pass.
Very good game. Definitely has some horror elements, and I can't wait for the sequel

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I watched a long video of the indie game Ikai. It starts off pretty slow. Im not trying to spoil the game for anyone but there is a lot of going in circles and ending back where you started. It happens in many different areas. There is also many paths through maze like areas you are suppose to figure out the right path to take but its mostly trial by error and like I said running around in circles. The game did manage to scare me by jumping in my face catching me off guard but I decided to pass on this game because of the constant back where you started type behavior.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
No I have not tried it or heard of it. I will check out some YouTube videos.
I'd always recommend not watching games on Youtube. Spoilers, obviously, plus the whole point of a game is to experience it firsthand, not watch somebody else have all the fun.

If you want to try loads of games without the risk of wasting money on something you don't like, get Game Pass. You can buy a cheap Xbox Live sub and convert up to three years of it to Game Pass for $1 (pretty sure that still works). On the horror game front, they have Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Visage, and the Dead Space series.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I'd always recommend not watching games on Youtube. Spoilers, obviously, plus the whole point of a game is to experience it firsthand, not watch somebody else have all the fun.

If you want to try loads of games without the risk of wasting money on something you don't like, get Game Pass. You can buy a cheap Xbox Live sub and convert up to three years of it to Game Pass for $1 (pretty sure that still works). On the horror game front, they have Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Visage, and the Dead Space series.
I have Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on the switch. I haven't gotten around to playing it. Truth is I was afraid of what the frame rate might be. The backlog is huge and still growing what I want to try.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I have Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on the switch. I haven't gotten around to playing it. Truth is I was afraid of what the frame rate might be. The backlog is huge and still growing what I want to try.
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice runs remarkably well on the Switch, given it's technical abilities. The FPS is reduced from 60 to 30, but is pretty stable (there is some light framepacing issues), and a some of the lighting took a hit from the PS4/XBO versions, but it is a very competent version of the game.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Resident Evil 7 and 8 are fantastic IMO. Try and avoid any videos of them before playing them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.