Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Looking for recommendations – what's the best screen recording software to record gameplay on Mac with least impact on fps?

So far I tried QuickTime Player. But I am not sure it's the best optimized tool for this job, considering decent resolution (2560x1600) and good framerate – the recorded material usually has much lower fps and stutters compared to actual gameplay.

It seems QuickTime Player immediately records and transcodes the material to H264 – so I am just thinking, maybe another tool that would just record uncompressed video (for later compression, once recording is done) would be easier on the CPU and allow for higher fps of the recording?

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Have you tried the Screenshot app in the utilities inside your applications folder?

There is an option to video record a portion of the screen or the entire screen. I haven't used it, but it seems like it could fit the bill.

Reactions: Canubis

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Have you tried the Screenshot app in the utilities inside your applications folder?

There is an option to video record a portion of the screen or the entire screen. I haven't used it, but it seems like it could fit the bill.

Thanks for this idea. But seems it's the very same thing QuickTime Player uses, at least in Catalina. Even the interface looks exactly the same.
[automerge]1603311962[/automerge]
Try OBS. I haven't used it on Mac, but it's free and worth trying.

Thanks, looks very techy – which may be a good thing. :) I'll give it a try.

Reactions: cdcastillo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.