Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Is there a great security suite out there to scan everything and keep it safe? Right now I have trend micro Cleaner One pro which I really like, seems to do a great job, but I tried to load their Anti virus software and even with the latest OS update it still crashes and won't do full scans. Wouldn't mind a good all-in-one solution.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Most people are happy with what Apple provides - Gatekeeper, XProtect, etc.

I use additional protection for specific risks. For example, Adguard for Mac mitigates risks from malware downloads and trackers.

Reactions: chabig

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Best frontline security suite is the human brain (though this is admittedly a variable), and a suitably layered degree of security, one layer being what gilby101 points out.

If you need to run something separate however, I'd go with Bitdefender.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Best frontline security suite is the human brain (though this is admittedly a variable), and a suitably layered degree of security, one layer being what gilby101 points out.

it's not just what I do but the network I'm plugged into and things like emails with attachments, etc.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have never seen the need for any security software with any of my macs. There is no virus that will run on a mac, adware, trackers, things of that nature which can be prevented by using the computer on top of your neck, but no actual viruses for macOS. My company requires the personal who use their own laptops to use a security software, but only have to self certify and sign that we are using one, while I have signed the agreement, I never do. It is just employment and if they find out and its cause for termination, it is what it is. I will not cripple my machine just to make an employer happy.

• Sad
Reactions: Alameda

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012

Strongly disagree with that. Of course we need to be careful not to click on phishing emails, but there are ways that code can execute behind our back that we cannot possibly see. Human brain tells us to use anti-virus software.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Is there a great security suite out there to scan everything and keep it safe? Right now I have trend micro Cleaner One pro which I really like, seems to do a great job, but I tried to load their Anti virus software and even with the latest OS update it still crashes and won't do full scans. Wouldn't mind a good all-in-one solution.
I have used Bitdefender for several years now. I haven’t experienced any problems using it. I pay for a family subscription which runs on all of our Macs.

I also use software called 1Password, which stores all of my passwords. It was an itty-bit confusing to setup, but their support was great, set me straight, and it’s worked very smoothly for several years now across my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. My passwords are all ultra-long, ultra-random and unique.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Strongly disagree with that. Of course we need to be careful not to click on phishing emails, but there are ways that code can execute behind our back that we cannot possibly see. Human brain tells us to use anti-virus software.
Most problems with viruses come from people not thinking, and opening all links they get and then wonder why their system do not work.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Most problems with viruses come from people not thinking, and opening all links they get and then wonder why their system do not work.
Even Apple acknowledges that there’s a malware problem.

Apple includes a Gatekeeper feature, which blocks software from installing if it hasn’t been signed by Apple. But there’s a LOT of unsigned software out there, and many of us use it. However, MacOS does have a built in antivirus scanner, which is regularly updated. So there’s a lot of protection even if you don’t use third party antivirus software.

Reactions: MiniApple

cwt2nospam

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2016
I'm happy with just doing system updates as they become available. I've been following malware developments for over 20 years and I'm still not convinced that anti virus does any good at all. It certainly gets in the way a lot on my work PC, so I see no reason to put it on my Mac.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Even Apple acknowledges that there’s a malware problem.

Apple includes a Gatekeeper feature, which blocks software from installing if it hasn’t been signed by Apple. But there’s a LOT of unsigned software out there, and many of us use it. However, MacOS does have a built in antivirus scanner, which is regularly updated. So there’s a lot of protection even if you don’t use third party antivirus software.

and that's why I choose not to further cripple the performance of my laptop. no company has the authority to force compliance when you use your own equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.