Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
I've been unsuccessfully searching through the usual photo storage/sharing sites for the best way to allow users to add "metadata" or more accurately, tags and subject info. Any recommendations?

TLDR:

I've got many thousands of family photos dating back ~100 years that have been scanned and stored locally. So that's step one out of the way. Step two though is upload them to a site (free or paid) that allow family members to add tags to the photos so they can be organized and usable by other family members. E.g., I upload an old photo but without any knowledge of the subject. I give access to family members only. Grandpa sees the photo and recognizes that it is a baby photo of Aunt Mary, and he tags the photo "Mary Jones." Grandma visits the site and recognizes the location and tags it, "Chicago" and "Montrose Beach." Then someone else sees it and tags it, "1958" and so on. Now at least that photo can be searched or organized by name, year or location.

Flickr seems to be close to meeting those requirements, but it seems all users need to have a Flickr account. That's ok, but I'd like it to be easier, like no sign-up required for users. Ideally, I'd like to just send an invitation to family members so only they can view my album(s) and add tags or another method of attaching data. Google Photos allows comments but can't be limited to invitees only, and it doesn't seem that the comments are searchable anyway.

I'd happily subscribe to (another) squarespace type service for this purpose, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do what I described above, at least with squarespace (their customer service was unhelpful in this quest.) I'm going to keep searching, but I can't imagine that my interest is unique. Has anyone here set up an online album that crowdsources the photo descriptions?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don't know off the top of my head, but I would guess almost any site would require guest registration if you want them to have access to editing metadata.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Not sure what you mean specifically by "tag." AFAIK Flickr allows comments, but I can't recall that it allows another user to add keywords, if that's what you mean. And that would get unwieldy anyway. Lr allows for comments as well, and a cool feature is that they can synch back to Lr. You could then use that info to assign proper keywords and such.

Maybe instead of a gallery-type photo site, look for a collaborative work type site. I've wanted to see how pics.io would work, but my relatives aren't tech savvy enough to make something like that work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.