Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

king.cobra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Hey All,

Sorry wasn't sure which section to post this in...

I've been wondering if there's a good place to sell used pc or mac parts and accessories?

I know there's ebay but I'm not really a fan for many reasons (scams, fees, etc). I'm thinking more something similar to Craigslist but all done online and shipped, and with a ratings/verification system to weed out scammers...

Also, is there a for sale section on MacRumors? Never seen one unless it's hidden somewhere...

Thanks!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Macrumors has a marketplace but you need to have more posts (250) and possibly more time here (180 days) to use it. You can't sell outside the marketplace.
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201625263-Marketplace-Rules

As for other sources. All I can think of is eBay or MercadoLibre. Which is ostensibly the eBay of Latin America. You might be able to sell some parts on Amazon. eBay basically conquered the market for used parts. People wouldn't want to buy through something like Craigslist since there is no guarantee. If they did the prices they paid would be far lower than the net you'd get from eBay after fees. There are some other sites no ones heard of. Which is a problem selling parts. EBay gives you a lot of eyeballs, others don't. So while the fees may be high they are offset by more potential buyers.

Some old computer parts get ridiculous amounts of money on eBay considering how old they are. Although many parts are worthless. A key component like a Motherboard can be obscene, especially non-OEM. A PSU is worthless. Unless it is old, proprietary and for a collectible computer. You might get something for a working Quadra 700 PSU nothing for some random ATX PSU for some old HP desktop.

While there are scam buyers on eBay. There aren't really any for used parts. They're interested in easy to flip or pawn items like a recent Macbook or Samsung Galaxy. Not some old part that requires research, finding the right buyer and waiting weeks or months for a small sale. Perhaps a recent i7 CPU or high end GPU might be an exception. Since they are in demand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.