Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
I used to make cd copies of lps and wondered what now is best software for editing and recording LPs. I know some software is made just the for this purpose and has tools that auto detect pops clicks and scratches. Does that really work 100% of the time? Or a am i better do it myself and edit each second of audio that has the click pop or ding. What software would be good for this. any help would appreacted

Thanks

Macmanmatty

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
macmanmatty said:
I used to make cd copies of lps and wondered what now is best software for editing and recording LPs. I know some software is made just the for this purpose and has tools that auto detect pops clicks and scratches. Does that really work 100% of the time? Or a am i better do it myself and edit each second of audio that has the click pop or ding. What software would be good for this. any help would appreacted
macmanmatty,
The best solution is Peak Le 5 and Sound Soap from Bias-Inc. I use Peak LE everyday as a 2 track daw and it works very good. As far as sound soap not sure because I have never used it. Make sure to check out the info on the website including the Sound Soap Demo Movie, that explains how it works. Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
The system I use to record Vinyl, and actually IMPROVE the sound is

Audio Hijack Pro>

with

Sound Soap as a plug in, and PSP Vintage Warmer Plugin.

Also, some of the Apple Eq's to tweak the sound.

Record it all as an AIFF, and bounce it into iTunes as Apple Lossless.

Sounds great.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
zimv20 said:
what kind of processing are you doing with VW?

Whatever sounds nicest.

Sometimes, using that plug can bring the levels too high, sometimes it can make the tracks sound much more vibrant.

So, sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

It's just a nice plug that I use for other recording/processing, and I found by experimentation that it works great for vinyl rips too.

I don't really have a specific formula for the VW.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
quigleybc said:
Whatever sounds nicest. [...] I don't really have a specific formula for the VW.
is it fair to say that you may use any or all of the EQ, drive, and compressor/limiter? or do you find yourself staying away from any of those?

also, are you using it solely to improve the 2-track, or is part of it to undo damage done elsewhere? (like by soundsoap, e.g.)

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
zimv20 said:
is it fair to say that you may use any or all of the EQ, drive, and compressor/limiter? or do you find yourself staying away from any of those?

Drive I stay away from, that plug has a really touchy interface, and just a tiny mouse click can jack up a song into heavy metal.

EQ-absolutely, I'm no expert, so all of my tweaks are done by ear, and trial and error.

Compressor, yes, unless the vinyl I'm ripping is newer, and has a lot of deep bass and drums already.

Old jazz records are a good candidate for compressor IMO...but stuff like my Dub reggae records, if I touch em with a Compressor they get so muddied...

Needless to say, most of my vinyl already sounds great, Vinyl by itself sounds great IMO. So I don't drastically alter the sound, I use a teeny tiny bit of the above in the VW but I really try and just clear up and bring out the best in the vinyl, not alter it.

The above formula of soundsoap, and the VW are used mostly for records that really need it, like ones I got from the local Pawn shop.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
The PC program Cool Edit Pro (Aka Adobe Audition) does this wonderfully. This program has the most scientific filters and editing abilities of any program out there. It is windows only. You can try complaining to Adobe to make a Mac version, though the Adobe Audition development team could care less about Mac, which is the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.