Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schwa73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Perrysburg, Ohio
I'm looking for a piece of OSX software that will allow me to track and organize a rather large collection of audio CDs. I used FileMaker Pro in System 9, but would like to upgrade to something geared specifically to CDs in OSX.

My only requirement, then, is the ability to import collections. Automatic downloading of track names would be nice, as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

schwa73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Perrysburg, Ohio
kirk26 said:
Well call me silly, but "iTunes"?

But how would this work in iTunes? I am not interested in digitally ripping my audio CDs. I'm looking for a database program that will store artist/title/year/songs/times/country/etc. for a 3000+ CD collection.

Is this possible in iTunes? Perhaps I'm missing something...

Josh

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Funny someone asked aout this. I have been working on a similar program that is web-based. Then I tought about doing as a stand-alone program. Had Mac OSX only support, but I like the idea of cross-platform.

If anyone should be interested in doing a similar application, pm me. I have a couple of ideas and with some more ideas. Heck maybe something cool can come out. :cool:

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
delicious library

i saw this a few weeks back.
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/deliciouslibrary.html

its not out yet, but when it does come out, it looks like it could handle your job and then some in a really attractive and functional manner. i especially like the whole ability to use an isight or any firewire camera as a barcode scanner to scan the barcodes right into the program, then have all the info downloaded, and the cd go on your shelf. should save loads of time for entering info.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
schwa73 said:
But how would this work in iTunes? I am not interested in digitally ripping my audio CDs. I'm looking for a database program that will store artist/title/year/songs/times/country/etc. for a 3000+ CD collection.

Is this possible in iTunes? Perhaps I'm missing something...

Josh

Yes, but doesn't iTunes do this? All you do is go to Prefs and let iTunes organize your folders and songs and such. I only used it when I first got my Mac some time ago, but I still remember that iTunes was able to look up song info for me. I just didn't like how it labelled things....

schwa73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Perrysburg, Ohio
runplaysleeprun said:
i saw this a few weeks back.
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/deliciouslibrary.html

its not out yet, but when it does come out, it looks like it could handle your job and then some in a really attractive and functional manner. i especially like the whole ability to use an isight or any firewire camera as a barcode scanner to scan the barcodes right into the program, then have all the info downloaded, and the cd go on your shelf. should save loads of time for entering info.

Yes! This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. A few other variants are listed on VersionTracker, but I was hoping somebody had personal experience or a preference for one over the other.

Perhaps I'll just try them all and see for myself!

Jaunty

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
London, England
Hello all this is my first post. Quick thanks first of all to Macrumors site/members for helping me not buy Mac products just before they were about to be replaced!

I'd recommend you have a look at

http://www.bruji.com/index.html

I use their DVD tracking software but they do one for books and cds (or a bundle for all 3 as well now). It is very iTunesy interface wise and easy to use.

schwa73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Perrysburg, Ohio
Jaunty said:
I'd recommend you have a look at

http://www.bruji.com/index.html

I use their DVD tracking software but they do one for books and cds (or a bundle for all 3 as well now). It is very iTunesy interface wise and easy to use.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check this out, although I'll most likely stick with Filemaker. I'm having lots of problems importing my old data into these other programs.

And I'm not going to re-enter all those CDs!

Josh

Ze3b

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2004
MyMusic is the one to compare

I think the key here is that you have said a Large collection of CD's. That infers that you want to find them once they are cataloged. I haven't seen a piece of software yet, (including Delicious Library) that can compete with Computer Dynamics MyMusic Personal Librarian. MyMusic is written for OSX and allows you to import a delimited file which you can export from FileMaker. Once done, you can look up data from Amazon or CDDB. you can also import your iTunes data including playlists.

The find functionality in MyMusic is fantastic. You can find a record which contains a credit such as Bass Player contains x or any field.

Rumor has it they are working on a new embedded SQL backend that allows you to backup and restore from an iDisk or other location and has more custom options.

You can find them at http://www.computer-dynamics.com/MyMusic

schwa73 said:
I'm looking for a piece of OSX software that will allow me to track and organize a rather large collection of audio CDs. I used FileMaker Pro in System 9, but would like to upgrade to something geared specifically to CDs in OSX.

My only requirement, then, is the ability to import collections. Automatic downloading of track names would be nice, as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.