Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I just moved to an area where there is cellular service but very weak, texts won't go through at all, and no cellular data to speak of. What is the best solution for a signal booster or whatever is out there for an iPhone 13 Pro Max these days...?

I'm looking for the best performance, I don't care about cost. Thanks!

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I just moved to an area where there is cellular service but very weak, texts won't go through at all, and no cellular data to speak of. What is the best solution for a signal booster or whatever is out there for an iPhone 13 Pro Max these days...?

I'm looking for the best performance, I don't care about cost. Thanks!
Don't you have Wi-Fi calling available to you?

Reactions: chabig

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Use WiFi Calling or check with your carrier to see if they also provide CellSpot aka mini cell tower using your broadband internet. The only downside of CellSpot is that any nearby users can tap into that network and use your bandwidth

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Different carriers often have differences in service quality in the same area. You may find one with better service in your new area than your current carrier. For example, if your phone has an unused eSim, T-Mobile has an easy process where you download their app and can try their service for 30-days (no commitment), side-by-side with your current carrier. It becomes a second line on your iPhone with its own phone number and data allotment (30GB I believe), so you can try both phone and data.

Reactions: now i see it

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If text and data isn't working, your phone probably isn't connected to your home wifi network.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I don't have a home wifi network, and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I'd like my phone to work 100% in the dead zone if at all possible, and use mainly that as I have been.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If you don't have wifi, and you don't have cellular reception, you're pretty much out of luck. If you have a tiny bit of cellular reception, then I've seen so called "signal boosters" online. If they work as advertised, they use more capable antennas to communicate with the cell network and relay the signal to and from your phone. I'm only said "so called" because I have no experience with these and I'm skeptical, but they could work as described.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
For a dead zone you NEED a WiFi network. Cellular reception is poor in my house but my WiFi kicks in automatically on my iPhone and my texts work perfectly. So does WiFi calling - clear and consistent.

Reactions: bhodinut and jetsam

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
What I'm looking for is something to boost my cell signal.
Call your cell provider and ask for a cell booster. Since you are not able to get proper cell service, ask them to provide it, free of charge. That is what T-Moble did for me when I needed a cell booster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turnpike

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It sounds like you’re avoiding getting wired internet to your home because of added cost.
You’ll likely be able to almost spend the same amount each month by reducing your cellular plan to the absolute minimum ($30) then setting up a minimum service with an internet provider. ($50).

$80/month is what many unlimited cellular plans cost anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.