Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oscarpetre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Hi!

I have a white macbook 2010 that's stuck on High Sierra and I've been using it as a backup computer for a couple of years. I read recently that both Firefox and Chrome has discontinued their browers for High Sierra and I'm wondering what would be the optimal solution for these computers now. Alternative browers like Chromium Legacy or go with OCLP (and in that case, what OS?)?. I would like to continue using iCloud if that's possible.

Thankful for replies :)

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I would probably recommend at least OCLP Monterey (MacOS 12). Chrome still currently supports Catalina 10.15, but Apple support has already ended which means Chrome/Firefox support for it will likely be ending soon.

No OS is going to run well on that MacBook if you have a rotational hard drive and only 4GB RAM. So I'd recommend upgrading the hard drive to an SSD. Also, the 2010 white MacBook supports 16GB RAM. Both SSD and RAM can be purchased inexpensively (my subjective opinion) on Amazon and will greatly improve the performance of the computer with modern software.

The non-Metal GPU will likely have a minimal impact on your daily use, and the USB 1.1 issue below only affects Ventura 13 (unless it gets fixed down the road).

Supported Models - Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP)

1693272515493.png

oscarpetre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
I would probably recommend at least OCLP Monterey (MacOS 12). Chrome still currently supports Catalina 10.15, but Apple support has already ended which means Chrome/Firefox support for it will likely be ending soon.

No OS is going to run well on that MacBook if you have a rotational hard drive and only 4GB RAM. So I'd recommend upgrading the hard drive to an SSD. Also, the 2010 white MacBook supports 16GB RAM. Both SSD and RAM can be purchased inexpensively (my subjective opinion) on Amazon and will greatly improve the performance of the computer with modern software.

The non-Metal GPU will likely have a minimal impact on your daily use, and the USB 1.1 issue below only affects Ventura 13 (unless it gets fixed down the road).

Supported Models - Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP)

View attachment 2251924
Thanks! I actually have an SSD, so it's pretty snappy, at least in High Sierra. OCLP seems as the best alternative in the long run but I'm rather hesitant to invest 30 bucks on new ram (it's a little bit more expensive here in Sweden), but is it security wise a bad idea to use iCloud on an old macOS? Firefox ESR seems to be updated on High Sierra for at least a year forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.