Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caesar_091

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Italy
Hi all,

neither VLC, MKVtools, HandBRake or AVIdemux can really to the trick.

Is there a good solution to edit MKV files audio/video track (that means: audio and/or video pass-through or conversion, MKV output encapsulation, full alternatives of audio and or video codecs output selection, add audio or video track from another MKV file, audio muxing, etc etc).

Any idea?

TIA

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Dunno what you are trying to do, or why you want to retain the video in the MKV container, but I convert MKV to ProRes video and audio tracks (usually use handbrake) and then use FCP to edit. The video and audio tracks are exported to a master file. Then I use one of the handbrake presets to convert.... unless the destination is an apple device or message. In that case I just use one of the FCP or compressor presets.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
Dunno what you are trying to do, or why you want to retain the video in the MKV container, but I convert MKV to ProRes video and audio tracks (usually use handbrake) and then use FCP to edit...

He may want to re-wrap the MKV to a container format which would avoid time-consuming transcoding. The problem is without knowing the codec it's impossible to say whether it would be editable. E.g, I just looked at a MKV which internally used Google's VP9 codec so whether it was re-wrapped or not Quicktime wouldn't play it and FCPX would not edit it.

I don't know what he means by "Handbrake...won't do the trick". In my tests Handbrake can transcode the MKV files I've tried. However it is transcoding, not re-wrapping.

There are utilities that purport to re-wrap an MKV but it's impossible to state whether the resultant file will be usable without knowing the codec inside the MKV. This can usually be examined with MediaInfo or similar tools: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Mac_OS

Caesar_091

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Italy
Hello guys, thanks for your replies and sorry for my late answer.

My goal would be to edit an MKV file (audio, video or sub track) easily and regardless the original and/or the destination codec.

Right now looks like there are no solution to this (many software around that still not fully meet this request). Am I wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.