Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
The title says it all. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a fine point, accurate pen for my iPad Air.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Have you searched these forums already? There are numereous threads on this particular question.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
The title says it all. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a fine point, accurate pen for my iPad Air.

I've not tried this yet, but have it saved in my wish list at Amazon because of the price. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZQLMCM...lid=2H07JRFNMCTKO&coliid=I3S76D0DM66Y8K&psc=1
However, the one I really want is made by the same company I think and it has the word Evernote in the title. It is 30 dollars more. Both too pricey as I don't really need one, I just want one with a small tip.
Again, this is not a recommendation, just what I've found with my research.
Good luck. Let me know if you try one or the other!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Wacom just released their new fine tip stylus.

I just picked it up at Best Buy today.

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/everyday/bamboo-stylus-fineline

I have been looking at the Adonit Jot Script Evernote but was leary about spending $75.

This one is $59, rechargeable and has many (1024?) levels of precision. Jot Script has one (I think).

In my short time with it, I am not sold on it yet.
It seems to drift (writes a little off from where I put the pen down).

I'm going to give it more time.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Wacom just released their new fine tip stylus.

I just picked it up at Best Buy today.

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/everyday/bamboo-stylus-fineline

I have been looking at the Adonit Jot Script Evernote but was leary about spending $75.

This one is $59, rechargeable and has many (1024?) levels of precision. Jot Script has one (I think).

In my short time with it, I am not sold on it yet.
It seems to drift (writes a little off from where I put the pen down).

I'm going to give it more time.

Script is intended for note taking, hence no pressure sensitivity. The Jot Touch with Pixelpoint is the one most similar to the new wacom, but that's even more expensive.

As for the offset, the Jot Script and TwP also have this to some extent. On iPad minis they dont have it in landscape, but do in portrait. There's an SDK that's integrated in a variety of apps that has a feature to compensate for it. I'm guessing Wacom needs to get developers to add the equivalent for their stylus.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
I'm getting more used to the new fineline. It works great, of course in the native Bamboo Paper app.

If I had to give some more caveats, it would be...

It is longer then a regular stylus or pen, almost too long (for its thickness) to write comfortably with.

And maybe Wacom released it too early but the website says Notes Plus supports it, and I can tell you, it does not. It only shows the Jot Script as a supported stylus.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Script is intended for note taking, hence no pressure sensitivity.

The Script absolutely has pressure sensitivity when used with the appropriate app. The problem (as I've said in other posts about styluses) is that the iPad was never designed to support a fine point (it was designed for fingers), so the resolution of the digitizer is too low to support really fine movements easily. That's why a lot of apps designed for handwriting have a small zoom window that you write in instead of directly onto the page.

Large, slow movements (like painting or drawing apps) work well. Fast, twitchy movements like writing text are at best hit and miss. Unless Apple changes their mind and starts adding a legit high resolution digitizer, you would be far better off using a tablet with stylus support like a Surface Pro or Galaxy Tab Note.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
IMHO, if your note taking app has a zoombox, you won't need a fine tip stylus - at least when you write within the zoombox.
On the other hand, if you plan on writing directly on the screen on a 1:1 scale, you probably do need a fine tip.
I find the zoombox essential, so I work with a simple passive stylus. YMMV ;)

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
The Script absolutely has pressure sensitivity when used with the appropriate app. The problem (as I've said in other posts about styluses) is that the iPad was never designed to support a fine point (it was designed for fingers), so the resolution of the digitizer is too low to support really fine movements easily. That's why a lot of apps designed for handwriting have a small zoom window that you write in instead of directly onto the page.

Large, slow movements (like painting or drawing apps) work well. Fast, twitchy movements like writing text are at best hit and miss. Unless Apple changes their mind and starts adding a legit high resolution digitizer, you would be far better off using a tablet with stylus support like a Surface Pro or Galaxy Tab Note.

The Script is not pressure sensitive. You're confusing it with the pseudo pressure sensitivity that some apps have that uses writing speed to slightly vary line thickness to emulate ink. Just go look at the product specifications for the Script if you still don't believe me.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
IMHO, if your note taking app has a zoombox, you won't need a fine tip stylus - at least when you write within the zoombox.
On the other hand, if you plan on writing directly on the screen on a 1:1 scale, you probably do need a fine tip.

True.

I also own the original Bamboo and Creative Duo which work great with the zoombox apps.

But sometimes I just want to open up a note app and jot something down on the screen without huge sharpie like strokes or setting up a zoombox.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013

I disagree. Combining the two gives your ridiculous accuracy, which I use all the time when correcting texts as a teacher. I can convert handed in Word documents to PDF and actually fit comments between lines of text, and since many apps with zoombox has a limit on how small of an area you can magnify (i.e. a limit on the magnification), using an accurate stylus works brilliantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.