Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
If you were to buy a laptop based on what company will have your back in case of hardware issues, which company outside of apple will be the best bet?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I had such a terrible time with their service, that I don't think the others can be worse. That is in Germany though.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Honestly in the UK at least (and by the sounds of it most of Europe) Apple's support is pretty poor. Quite frankly I genuinely suspect those who praise Apple's support simply haven't dealt with any other computer companies before, because their support is honestly abysmal compared to what you'll get with similarly priced machines elsewhere.

Sure, it's better than what you'd get on a £300 laptop from PC World but that shouldn't surprise anyone. If you're comparing to an equivalent computer that's similarly priced you can expect much, much better support than what Apple gives you.

HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc are all fine in my experience.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's a graph from
Is Apple customer service good? 2020 rating

1588077217143.png

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm based in Europe, had really great support from Lenovo, and the best service ever from XMG.
For USA I highly doubt you will find anyone that can compare with Apple. And honestly, I never trusted those graphs like @maflynn posted. On reddit there are loads of complaints about Razer for example. And I do mean lots of those. Even when compared to macrumors and MBP complaints.

But then again, I could be mistaken. But that fact alone keeps me away from Razer.

Problem with support in general is that it varies country by country. For example, Lenovo has great international support. Not as good as Apple, but really close. HP had that before, and they are still good enough in my own country. But in other countries they are rather poor. For Dell I can't speak, never had to deal with them in the past.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I'm based in Europe, had really great support from Lenovo, and the best service ever from XMG.
For USA I highly doubt you will find anyone that can compare with Apple. And honestly, I never trusted those graphs like @maflynn posted. On reddit there are loads of complaints about Razer for example. And I do mean lots of those. Even when compared to macrumors and MBP complaints.

But then again, I could be mistaken. But that fact alone keeps me away from Razer.

Problem with support in general is that it varies country by country. For example, Lenovo has great international support. Not as good as Apple, but really close. HP had that before, and they are still good enough in my own country. But in other countries they are rather poor. For Dell I can't speak, never had to deal with them in the past.

it’s interesting abut razer. I do remember a couple of years ago they were infamous for their truly awful support, and now they are top of those graphs. Perhaps they decide to do a 180 and completely change their service game?
[automerge]1588108613[/automerge]

intesting the difference between Alienware which is a dell brand line of products and between dell itself. It’s like if there were a gap in support between MacBook Pro users and the rest of Apple users.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Razer first? Lol
I was working for a company once, that every time there was some sort of "best in.." official poll, made by some consumer, government or industry organization, our company would require every employee to use multiple email addresses to vote. You wouldn't believe how many awards were won, and I mean not a poll at reddit, but some serious ones, with gala and everything.

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
My experience
#1 Apple
#2 Microsoft (overall)
#3 Google (only for physical products)

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
my experiences

#1 Dell Canada Business line. 5 year next day onsite warranty with accidental is fantastic. last call was for an old m6800 workstation unit. tech was out with new motherboard in 6 hours. ( kids put grape juice in it )

#2 and #3 is a tie, HP and Lenovo business line ( Hp Zbooks and Lenovo P50 and P70 ) again 3-5 year NBD onsite, never waited longer than 96 hours for a fix

Last 5 years ive found Apple very slow and argumentative in repairs here in Canada

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.