Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Bought my Mac mini a year ago, I have a USB-C expander (extra USB 3.1 ports, HDMI and Ethernet) plugged into it. I would like to get a hub with at least two display ports (HDMI, VGA or DP), plus an SD card reader as well.

Any suggestions? Aside from CalDigit’s amazing Thunderbolt 3 dock.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If you want to connect two displays at the same time, and you are running macOS, then you need a Thunderbolt 3 dock because only Thunderbolt supports two separate DisplayPort signals.

A USB-C dock (not Thunderbolt) can support two displays using DisplayPort MST or DisplayLink. macOS does not support MST for multiple displays and DisplayLink does not perform like a real display connection to a GPU.

The Best Thunderbolt 3 Docks for 2020 | Reviews by Wirecutterthewirecutter.com › Electronics › Accessories

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
+1 for CalDigit Docks. We have several docks from them since Thunderbolt 1. All are performing very well. Great quality and very reliable IMHO. Thunderbolt dock nowadays is not expensive at all comparing to 3 years ago. You should go with Thunderbolt instead of USB-C.

Reactions: Fawkesguyy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.