Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I don’t want to diss on people who buy iPhone on day one and are actually helping non-early adopters but after so many generations and the same patterns over and over but how does it feel to pay for the damages ?

Why not wait iOS x.2 or more before buying a new iPhone?

Beyond that, my question is when is the best time to buy the new iPhone? Christmas ? February?

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
There are no such best time to buy the phone unless there are good deals on certain times. Cellular service providers or stores might offer a good deal during Christmas time or other times.
If new phone is urgently needed, buy the phone right now. However, if not, just wait until you need to buy or upgrade one.
All are relative.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
As a yearly adopter I can say that I have never experienced any issues with a day 1 iPhone. You also need to remember that this forums, reddit, other social media is a echo chamber and yes tech news sites will pick up sometimes and basically bring the echo to the mainstream. I am by no means saying that there are never problems like the current heating the iPhones are experiencing that Apple is addressing, but since a software update can (hopefully) fix the issue it proves that it is an iOS bug and not a hardware defect (if fixed).

Are there one offs that happen hardware wise some years sure you can see them here. Basically I wouldn't let the few dictate when you purchase, purchase based on when you want. You may not want to wake up early (if that applies to you) to deal with preorders which is fine. As far as stock goes probably a good time would be November maybe leading into December before people buy them for Christmas presents otherwise February is a good amount of time to get a restock depending where you are buying your iPhone.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Hello there

I don’t want to diss on people who buy iPhone on day one and are actually helping non-early adopters but after so many generations and the same patterns over and over but how does it feel to pay for the damages ?

Beyond that, my question is when is the best time to buy the new iPhone? Christmas ? February?
I bought my SS Apple 5 watch in store as one of the first in line and that was a great experience. We waited outside and the person in front of me was a YouTuber who wasn’t big enough to get an early unit from Apple. Anyway they had extra people from Apple corporate there and this middle aged woman came up to greet me and got the the watch. I actually could pay for it all on Apple Pay which surprised me. It was just a great experience being made to feel like a million bucks by a corporate person with experience I could relate to - that was memorable.

Last year was a bigger hassle being an early adopter with the 14 PM. The camera shake thing with us not being able to use the camera and the multitude of bugs was not worth it in the end. I would wait a few months now just to make sure there are no un-pleasant surprises next year…

Reactions: koigirl and klasma

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I never buy a new iPhone or mac until at least the x.1 version of the current OS is available; let the early adopters figure out the issues. I don't buy through my carrier either, so their deals don't matter.

Buy whenever you want, though, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I never buy a new iPhone or mac until at least the x.1 version of the current OS is available; let the early adopters figure out the issues. I never buy through my carrier either, so their deals don't matter.

I have to add that waiting in line like the old days was actually a fun experience (it was just like an hour to two hours to be right up at the front). Meeting others that actually had a reason to get it early was fun. Other people in line outside actually clapped and congratulated you when you came out. Actually a very rare experience when buying something! I left with my purchase in this fancy Apple bag which for me would look ridiculous unless you were being cheered and congratulated by passers by. Yup - that was a good day!

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If you go with the non-Pro phones, unquestionably the best time to buy is when the next generation is out and you get the price reduction. Not only do you save money, you also have a year’s worth of manufacturing and software improvements.

And yes, all phone designers and manufacturers make improvements during the life of the phone to fix errors and defects — the return data and reports are very sophisticated now, identifying the most serious errors.

More power to the day one purchasers. Not me, I don’t have time for beta testing.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
If you are an annual upgrader like me...buy during pre order. I have never had any issues what so ever with a launch day iphone. My iphone history is pretty long too. Remember....these forums do not account to not even 1% of the iphone users of this entire planet. If you don't care about new iphone every year then just buy when ever you desire.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I was a day 1 person with the 14PM and 15PM. No issues whatsoever. It’s just fun, I like getting the phone on launch day. I will upgrade every year through T-Mobile’s Jump upgrade option. So, the best time for *me* to buy an iPhone is as soon as the pre orders start. I love the anticipation and camaraderie that comes from it on the internet. I can’t afford to buy the phone outright but I can upgrade through T-Mobile with the cost applied to my monthly bill. There should be some deals around Christmas but there have been really good trade in deals recently.

Reactions: Devyn89

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Hello there

When you can afford it or it fits into your cash flow.

I get mine on the local launch week so I can get better value for my replaced iPhone.

By then it is already iOS x.2

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
when is the best time to buy the new iPhone?
If you want the latest and newest model then the best time is immediately when it's first available. They don't drop in price for a good while so if you are willing to pay the full price Apple asks for you might as well use the iPhone from day one. No point in waiting months and then paying the same amount for the now months older hardware.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hello there

On launch day.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Deals are very hard to come by on iPhones and most Apple products do I just say get them when you need them.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
seems to be little risk buying during pre-order. Problems get fixed quickly and the worst case is you return it. Of course if you do that you'll need a fallback phone

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The best time to buy is when you want to and feel ready to buy. Only the end user can decide that. I like to get a new iPhone as early as possible because I like having the latest iPhone tech as long as possible. To each their own.

Reactions: KeithBN

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Always bought them on launch the (few) times I upgrade.

The 5 had a power button that started becoming unreliable over time (common defect)

The 6S had a Samsung A9 which sucked compared to the TSMC variant but I don't know if buying later really upped the chance of receiving a TSMC.

The 11 Pro has been basically flawless and still is.

I'd say, it shouldn't matter that much. Hardware recalls are rare. Software gets fixed and the bugs are usually minor.

Besides, phones are kind of like dishwashers now. New models come out but you probably don't need them as even the really old ones work just fine. You buy a new one when yours is irreparably broken and it's not even much of a factor if that would happen say really late in a cycle.

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
A lot of wireless carriers now do promotions when a new iPhone launches. Last year I got $800 off my iPhone 14 Pro right when it launched.

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
I never buy a new iPhone or mac until at least the x.1 version of the current OS is available; let the early adopters figure out the issues. I buy through my carrier either, so their deals don't matter.

What issues are you talking about?

I download every iOS, macOS, and watchOS update as soon as it is available and I have gotten a couple of my iPhones and Macs on release day and have experienced no systemic issues.

Are you implying that at the x.1 version the devices are perfect and never need to be updated again?

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
For me it’s when current iPhone is no longer usable:

- it breaks or
- becomes too slow or
- support ends (no more security updates)

One more scenario would be degraded battery it the phone lifecycle is in other ways coming to an end soon (for reasons listed above). Otherwise battery can be replaced.

If replacement need occures right before lauch of a new model then I wait until lauch so I can get one of the previous models cheaper. Unless the new model is so good that it’s worth buying. Like the changes are less incremental than say iPhone 12 -> iPhone 14.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
What issues are you talking about?

I download every iOS, macOS, and watchOS update as soon as it is available and I have gotten a couple of my iPhones and Macs on release day and have experienced no systemic issues.

Are you implying that at the x.1 version the devices are perfect and never need to be updated again?

I'm not implying anything; I'm just saying I like to wait .

I'm not an early adopter of anything, hardware, cars, software, cameras, games, whatever. I always wait until it's been tried a bit before hopping on. I don't need to the first in line as it's not interesting or exciting for me.

..but as I said, I don't care what others do.

Last edited:

poundman

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
For the US my game plan is to wait until last week in October to order. My theory is that it will give enough time for Verizon to stock up (~6weeks after release), but before the black Friday and Christmas rush. I wont mind if it takes 2 weeks to deliver, just as long as I get the phone choice I want (5 phones for family).

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I’d say mid-cycle, when some amount of the bugs of the new iOS version can be expected to have been fixed. So in spring, preferably after the extra color (if any) has been released.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
We're members at Sam's Club so we get phones when they run their Black Friday event. So trade-in on whatever phones we currently have plus the in-store gift cards per phone. Which meant we got our 11PMs for about $850 each iirc. Plus .1 is usually out as well as the second batch of phones that usually have the majority of production bugs sorted out. Have never had an issue with a second batch phone since the 4s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.