Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
So I'm looking for a new game. Currently App Store has Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider II, Tomb Raider Underworld, Tomb Raider Anniversary, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm running a 2016 MB Pro with upped graphics so I think I can run them all.

What do you think is the best game? I'm wondering if I should skip to the newest one which also has the most stars (4 & 1/2), or are Underworld, Anniversary and Rise worth playing first? In the past 2 years I've played Bioshock Infinite and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I enjoyed them but didn't finish either. I get bored after a while. That's just to say that I'm not a serious gamer, but perhaps the older Tomb Raider games are good and worth playing first?

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
All the games are good and you'll be satisfied with the graphics in all of them, except TR2 which is the only one of the original series ported to the Mac. But that was my first TR game and I love it. It is lower quality graphics yes but the gaming playability is really good, its a great adventure. I've played it through over 5 times already and thinking of doing another run-through of the whole set of Tomb Raider games. This is only my opinion mind, and YMMV as they say. But if you're only looking for latest HQ graphics save TR2 for a rainy day.

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
All the games are good and you'll be satisfied with the graphics in all of them, except TR2 which is the only one of the original series ported to the Mac. But that was my first TR game and I love it. It is lower quality graphics yes but the gaming playability is really good, its a great adventure. I've played it through over 5 times already and thinking of doing another run-through of the whole set of Tomb Raider games. This is only my opinion mind, and YMMV as they say. But if you're only looking for latest HQ graphics save TR2 for a rainy day.
I went with the one titled Tomb Raider, which I think came out a few years ago, cause it had the best reviews. I probably should've done some research first to see how it would run, but so far it seems fine. Only I can't seem to get rid of the Mac menu bar which still hovers on top of the screen, even though I have full screen selected in the games graphic options. Any idea about that?

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
Never mind I figured it out :). In most games it works automatically. In this case I had to go into system preferences to hide the menu.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Thread necromancy (By a first poster no less - Bot alert?).

Just wanted to add (Since the thread is now at the top of the list) that several of these games have been pulled from the MAS per 1/1/19, since Feral won't be updating them to 64 bit.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Thread necromancy (By a first poster no less - Bot alert?).

Just wanted to add (Since the thread is now at the top of the list) that several of these games have been pulled from the MAS per 1/1/19, since Feral won't be updating them to 64 bit.

How do you know that Feral won't be updating them to 64-bit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.