Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm looking for a quick and easy solution for a OSX system.
I want internal clients (i.e. 10.0.0.10), to connect to a internal server (i.e. 10.0.0.11) on a specific port (i.e. 8181)
And have the server forward it to the internet (i.e. 48.123.222.88) on a different port (i.e. 3333)

How can I achieve this?
Would this be.. forwarding, tunneling, proxying ?

What software should I use and/or is there any best practices or quick and easy tutorials ?

I've downloaded tcptunnel but that's not working at all as far as I tried, the internal server does not open the port to listen on to tunnel it through. When I open a port with ie. netcat then it still won't be forwarded externally.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You configure the router to forward that external port to the internal servers IP.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Hi all,

I'm looking for a quick and easy solution for a OSX system.
I want internal clients (i.e. 10.0.0.10), to connect to a internal server (i.e. 10.0.0.11) on a specific port (i.e. 8181)
And have the server forward it to the internet (i.e. 48.123.222.88) on a different port (i.e. 3333)

How can I achieve this?
Would this be.. forwarding, tunneling, proxying ?

What software should I use and/or is there any best practices or quick and easy tutorials ?

I've downloaded tcptunnel but that's not working at all as far as I tried, the internal server does not open the port to listen on to tunnel it through. When I open a port with ie. netcat then it still won't be forwarded externally.
If you want to reach singular services on the Internet this way, you’ll want to look into reverse proxying. Common products that approach the problem slightly differently from each other: HAProxy, Squid, nginx.
There’s a lot of tips out there, but when it comes to more advanced networking rules like this, I’d recommend actually learning the underlying concepts and the pros and cons of the different choices available, especially if you have any kind of security requirements for this solution. But with the product names I gave you, you have somewhere to start.

Reactions: DennisBlah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.