Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I think the PS5 and XBox Series X are “true” 4K consoles with their horsepower and HDMI 2.1 standards.

I suspect many folks will be looking to accessorize and make the most of their new console purchase with a new TV.

So which TV is it going to be, and why?

(A resource recommendation for anyone who is researching new TVs is HDTVTest(Youtube)(no affiliation).... the dude knows what he’s talking about and has a great sense of humor)

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Assuming we are discussing 4K output I would say an LG CX-series TV is ideal for these next-gen consoles since they feature G-Sync, FreeSync, and VRR (Variable Rate Refresh).

However the timing of your inquiry is abysmally poor.

In less than two weeks, CES will (virtually) kick off and the 2021 crop of new TVs will be announced.

Asking this question 3-4 weeks from now will provide better insight into the TV marketplace than the answers you will get today.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The selection of available TVs so confusingly abundant that there needs to be criteria to narrow the search.

Do you want 120Hz, what size TV, OLED, LED?

There's just too many variables - For me I was budget sensitive, but I got a nice 65" LED TV thanks to the month long BF promotions running at Costco. I don't have an Xbox or a PS5 yet either.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I reckon (from what ive heard and seen thus far), support for HDMI2.1 features would be a good place to start....
4k, 120hz, HDR, variable refresh rate(VRR)

And then specifically for gaming, a “low latency mode”, which turns off most/all post-processing on the TV to reduce input lag (time between you pressing a button on the controller to seeing the result on the screen).

... among a whole bunch of other things.

Quite frankly i miss the old days when a TV would just display an image sent to it, as opposed to manipulating and changing it before it displays it.

Reactions: iapplelove

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I don’t overthink TVs anymore. I just moved into a new house in June, went out and bought two of the latest Samsung’s with little to no homework at all. Everything looks great on it so I’m satisfied lol

Reactions: trevpimp

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Assuming we are discussing 4K output I would say an LG CX-series TV is ideal for these next-gen consoles since they feature G-Sync, FreeSync, and VRR (Variable Rate Refresh).

However the timing of your inquiry is abysmally poor.

In less than two weeks, CES will (virtually) kick off and the 2021 crop of new TVs will be announced.

Asking this question 3-4 weeks from now will provide better insight into the TV marketplace than the answers you will get today.
Agreed.

If the OP doesn't desperately need a new TV right now, they should wait 2-3 months for 2021 sets to hit the shelves.

What genres of games do you play?
Are you a movie buff?
What's your budget?

During black friday I bought a 65 inch Sony XH95.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don’t overthink TVs anymore.
It is so confusing and overwhelming. For me, I opted for a set budget and a couple of manufacturers - from there I looked at what fit those parameters and picked. I initially fell into the trap of doing an in-depth investigation and it became clear I was in over my head. I finally realized, its just a TV lets not go over board.

Reactions: iapplelove

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think the PS5 and XBox Series X are “true” 4K consoles with their horsepower and HDMI 2.1 standards.

I suspect many folks will be looking to accessorize and make the most of their new console purchase with a new TV.

(A resource recommendation for anyone who is researching new TVs is HDTVTest(Youtube)(no affiliation).... the dude knows what he’s talking about and has a great sense of humor)

I been playing with the Xbox series X for about a week now. COD Black Ops Cold War, is more than good enough at 1440p at 120fps on my 4K TV. With other types of games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I set it to 4K at 60fps. Games look damn good visually, and perform very smoothly.

I'm not in a rush to get a HDMI 2.1 capable TV, especially since a huge portion of current ones haven't got the software upgrade to enable getting 4K at 120fps. And that leaves weary as to why it's taking manufactures so long to update. I would personally wait a generation or two later, or at least when 2.1 TVs can push 4K 120fps out the box.

If you absolutely must have 4K at 120fps now. Then there's several 4K monitors that offer HDMI 2.1 working out the box. But when it comes to TVs, I would wait. Plus it would be easier on the wallet later on.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I have a 55" 4K Samsung LED tv with HDR I'm saying that I spent $500 dollars on it and games look awesome with a Xbox one x and ps4 Pro

With the TVs in the market now you're looking to spend more over $1000 in order to play 4K at 120fps on 120hz displays

I've read specs around and so far the TVs that I would get for PS5 or series X is the Samsung Q70t or the LG CX series (48inch-55inch) (120hz displays)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
With the TVs in the market now you're looking to spend more over $1000 in order to play 4K at 120fps on 120hz displays
Hardly any games on PS5 or Series X will play at 4k/120hz. At least not without major visual cutbacks and compromised Ray Tracing and HDR.

120fps is mostly only relevant if you play FPS games competitively.

When I bought my 65 inch Sony XH95 I did so because of its peak brightness and HDR performance.

I could have bought a 55 inch LG CX or HDMI 2.1 Sony TV for the same money. However my TV can do 4k/60 and 1080/120 if I ever want high frame rate gaming.

Reactions: trevpimp

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
If you want to buy a good 4K gaming TV that you can keep for years to come there are three main factors to consider:

• High refresh rate, meaning 120Hz
  • VRR: Variable Refresh Rate (lower latency, reduces tearing and judder), basically the console equivalent of AMD FreeSync and Nvidia G-Sync
  • ALLM: Auto Low Latency Mode, switches to Game Mode automatically. Without this the user needs to manually switch this for best gaming performance.

There are currently only a handful of TVs with 120Hz refresh rate so that part isn't difficult.

This article:

summarizes these topics.

Virtual CES is next week and it is expected that many other gaming-focused TV sets will be announced.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I have always owned Sony TVs, and was expecting to pick up one of the newer ones (specifically one of the OLED models).... It suddenly hit me that this would be the first "smart"(*grumble* *grumble*) TV i would be buying (due to lack of a simpler "dumb" TV option).

And lo-and-behold.... Sony TVs all run on Android (as do many other brands). I think that might be a deal-breaker for me. If they were running their own OS, it would have been a no-brainer. Which leaves only one other option for an OLED TV (which just-so-happens to be the one most mentioned, so far in this thread); LG CX. I do prefer the OS (WebOS) and the Wii-like remote pointer.

I can't believe the system software on the TV has become a deciding factor for me.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have always owned Sony TVs, and was expecting to pick up one of the newer ones (specifically one of the OLED models).... It suddenly hit me that this would be the first "smart"(*grumble* *grumble*) TV i would be buying (due to lack of a simpler "dumb" TV option).

And lo-and-behold.... Sony TVs all run on Android (as do many other brands). I think that might be a deal-breaker for me. If they were running their own OS, it would have been a no-brainer. Which leaves only one other option for an OLED TV (which just-so-happens to be the one most mentioned, so far in this thread); LG CX. I do prefer the OS (WebOS) and the Wii-like remote pointer.

I can't believe the system software on the TV has become a deciding factor for me.
I have recently bought a Sony TV with Android TV. My previous TV with a dumb non-HDR 4K TV that I used with Apple TV4K. Credit when credit is due. Android TV is good so far and I haven't used my ATV4K in 8 weeks.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

You can always go projection to keep the display dumb.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Last week Sony, Samsung and LG announced their 2021 range of TVs.

Anyone who wants a new TV should hold fire until the views are out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.