Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarnelianClout

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2023
I am looking to buy a used Macbook from anywhere up to $400 or so, what would the best case be? Something for light duty work, browsing the internet, preferably on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
At that budget..M1 is not going to happen. You should be able to easily find a 2020 Retina MacBook Air at that price. At less than $400, it's probably the newest vintage machine you'll be able to find, which means you'll have the most years of software and security support. The biggest issue I have with older machines is not being able to run the latest macOS without going the GitHub route and the iOS ecosystem doesn't play that nice when you have a legacy macOS device. Go with the 2020 MacBook Air.

Reactions: VivienM

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
At that budget..M1 is not going to happen. You should be able to easily find a 2020 Retina MacBook Air at that price. At less than $400, it's probably the newest vintage machine you'll be able to find, which means you'll have the most years of software and security support. The biggest issue I have with older machines is not being able to run the latest macOS without going the GitHub route and the iOS ecosystem doesn't play that nice when you have a legacy macOS device. Go with the 2020 MacBook Air.
Why? He should just get a 2015 rMBP! They are the best non-Apple-silicon MBPs, and best value, especially with the i7 and 16gb RAM. He can just run OCLP and run Ventura or Monterey on it, and since it is not that old, it should run just fine.

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
Why? He should just get a 2015 rMBP! They are the best non-Apple-silicon MBPs, and best value, especially with the i7 and 16gb RAM. He can just run OCLP and run Ventura or Monterey on it, and since it is not that old, it should run just fine.
I don't disagree that the 2015 is a good machine. At the same time the OpenCore game isn't for everyone.

Reactions: splifingate

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
Wdym by 'game'? How is it a game? It gets all the latest security updates and is just like MacOS Monterey or Ventura on a supported mac!
OCLP is great, but not everyone on here can or wants to jump through the extra hoops to make it work or deal with the little quirks like patching after updates or random settings not working. For example - I used OCLP on my 6,1 Mac Pro and started having random kernel panics when upscaling to a 5K UltraFine. 95% of the time, no issues, but it got annoying enough that I decided just to go back to Monterey and no issues since. Someone who is looking for an entry level Mac recommendation probably isn't ready to jump into EFI patching.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
I agree with the 2015 MBP suggestion. They can be found for $200-$250 and work just fine. Easy to repair or upgrade SSD if needed. I recently upgraded a 2019 MBP (its a dog) to the 2015 and have no regrets at all

• Haha
Reactions: ZircoBen

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
OCLP is great, but not everyone on here can or wants to jump through the extra hoops to make it work or deal with the little quirks like patching after updates or random settings not working. For example - I used OCLP on my 6,1 Mac Pro and started having random kernel panics when upscaling to a 5K UltraFine. 95% of the time, no issues, but it got annoying enough that I decided just to go back to Monterey and no issues since. Someone who is looking for an entry level Mac recommendation probably isn't ready to jump into EFI patching.
Well, i know that he is not going to get better bang for buck under 400 in the Macbook world than the 2015 MBP. A 2020 Air is just stupid. He can just run Monterey just fine on it the 2015 MBP. Also, if he is smart, he could just run Linux on it. Will run great and it is a much more lightweight/secure OS. Much more fun and fresh OS IMO as well. Also, Linux is the base of MacOS, so the commands will be similar.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I agree with the 2015 MBP suggestion. They can be found for $200-$250 and work just fine. Easy to repair or upgrade SSD if needed. I recently upgraded a 2019 MBP (its a dog) to the 2015 and have no regrets at all
Yes indeed! And upgradeability is a huge advantage over newer MacBooks, and you dont appreciate it until you have to replace something...

Reactions: rovostrov

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
"upgradeability is a huge advantage over newer MacBooks"

In addition to upgrading SSD or RAM there is also eventual battery replacement to consider.

Check ifixit.com for difficulty of the specific book you plan to purchase.

Last edited:

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Just bought a 12" MacBook 2017, 16gb RAM, 512gb ssd, i5 for $350. Battery is 92%, which is pretty good. Works like a charm and is much easier to carry around than any of the MBA's or MBP's. It's fantastic for doing basic things.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
The keyboard on the 2017 MacBook is pretty good, though it's a butterfly keyboard. It was improved from the earlier versions.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.