Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
What ethernet chipset do you have? I can't remember, but does Vector do hardware detection on boot? You may just have to load the correct module for your card and it will turn on. Find out what the chipset is and I will try to walk you through it. Then we'll set it up so that it loads on boot.

Jim

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
California
Okay, that would be awesome... The Ethernet's built-in so... How would I go about finding the manufacturer? Should I bust the case open?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Rocksaurus said:
My friends and I found an old PC in the dumpster
Rocksaurus said:
Should I bust the case open?

Just make absolutely sure there are no banana peels or sandwich leftovers in the case before u fire it up.
So yes, do open the case.
;) :D

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Or instead of taking apart the laptop, just look up its model number on google and find the spec sheet. Should take a lot less time.

Edit: For some reason I was thinking this is a laptop. Nevermind. Bust open the case and look at the card. Or do you mean that the chipset is on the mobo? Is it a branded computer or a build your own type? If it is branded look up the model on google, and see if you find a spec sheet. If not, start the computer and see if it tells you what the motherboard is when it POSTs.

Jim

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
California
Okay, well...
It's a Compaq Deskpro, and it's got ethernet on the mobo, so uh...? I googled my machine (a Compaq Deskpro) and found other similar Deskpros, though not the exact model I have... From my results I found this website:
http://pigtail.net/LRP/swap.html
and another saying it was an intel chipset, but he was talking about a deskpro, not specifically mine so who knows? Also found a post online that said it was a
"Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP Controller which is based on the Texas Instruments ThunderLan (tlan) chipset."... I figure one of those three is right, so where do I go from here?

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
The tlan was a pretty expensive card back then. Was the Deskpro model the same as yours in that particular post? What model is yours?

If the models are the same, go to a terminal as the root user and type:

modprobe tlan

Edit: If the tlan doesn't work you may have an intel EtherExpress Pro 100, so try typing

modprobe eepro100

and see if anything happens.

Then take a look and see if the ethernet lights come on. If not, the tlan isn't the right card, and we need to keep looking.

If the lights are on, then assuming you use DHCP on your router type:

dhcpcd eth0

This should assign your card the IP address and get all information needed from your dhcp server. At this point you should have net access.

If this works, we'll make it so that it is all done automatically on boot. If not, we need to keep looking to see what the chipset is on your mobo, or you'll need to find an extra PCI ethernet card sitting around.

Jim

Edit: Just thought of something. Do you get any output when you type
lspci
at the command prompt (might have to be root)?

enoch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
rastasoft

Dyne:bolic is a free linux distro that runs off a single cd bootdisk.

http://dyne.org/

May be useful for those who want to poke linux. Not sure about ppc version.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
California
THANK YOU

jim.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Your advice worked, I'm responding to your last post to thank you through Linux. Turns out it was the Netelligent onboard 10/100... Also have a Voodoo2 in this thing (wasn't sure if it was a 1 or a 2 when I opened the case but lspci informed me). Anyway, thanks again so much for all your help and patience. I owe you one.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Glad to hear it is working. Now we need to set it up so that it loads the tlan module on boot. If memory serves me correctly then Vector uses the rc.modules script. I believe if you edit it (/etc/rc.d/rc.modules) and add the line "modprobe tlan" to the end, it should automatically load on boot.

I'm trying to remember off the top of my head, I'm sure that the rc.modules script is the correct one to edit, but I can't remember the format. You may have to take a look at the script and see. If you have trouble, attach the script so that I can see it. Then we can work it out.

Jim

eroda

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
whatever u do do not use manrape(mandrake) red crap (redhad) or its varient Fedora or any big name ones becuase well they are very slow

my linux flavour of the year i think is UBUNTU its the basic debian setup with a X
(gnome) its quick around 40-50% on my PC compared to fedora core 3

its so nice give it a go

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
California
jim. said:
Glad to hear it is working. Now we need to set it up so that it loads the tlan module on boot. If memory serves me correctly then Vector uses the rc.modules script. I believe if you edit it (/etc/rc.d/rc.modules) and add the line "modprobe tlan" to the end, it should automatically load on boot.

I'm trying to remember off the top of my head, I'm sure that the rc.modules script is the correct one to edit, but I can't remember the format. You may have to take a look at the script and see. If you have trouble, attach the script so that I can see it. Then we can work it out.

Jim

Okay... Uh, I apologize again for my newbiness, but how do I edit that? I fooled around with commands, which in retrospect probably wasn't a smart idea... I hope the "ed" command doesn't do anything detrimental.. :eek: Anyhow, how do I edit our lovely file?

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
I would use pico or nano. I don't know which one is supplied by Vector so you may have to try until you find it.

Try one of these at a prompt (you need to be root):

pico /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

nano /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

Take a look at the file. You can scroll through using arrow keys. It is a simple editor in the same vein as edit under DOS. It may seem overly complex to you if it is fully scripted, or it may just be a list. I don't know what to expect. At the end of the file add:

modprobe tlan

Ctl-X should exit, save when prompted. This should work. If it doesn't simply probe the driver on the next boot, and try to attach a copy of the rc.modules file, so I can look at it and determine its format.

Jim

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
California
Awesome. You've done it again, Jim. Turns out it was nano. What I found odd though is while scrolling through the file, it's got "modprobe tlan" in the middle of the file... Dunno why it wasn't loading it, unless that was just there to tell me what to type to get it to work? Who knows? Not me. Anyways, again, thanks so much for all your help. You're awesome. MacRumors forums always come through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.