Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlee88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2017
Okay, my 1080 has been working great for the past month. However, my Mac Pro had an update and after it finished installing then rebooted, I get nothing but a black screen.
I didn't even catch what the upgrade version was, but it is the latest.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Nvidia web drivers are MacOS version specific. Every time you upgrade the OS, it will break the driver. And without properly driver, only black screen avail.

If you have share screen / remote control, you can use that to install the new web driver.

Otherwise, you may need to swap the old card back it just for installing the driver.

davidlee88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2017
Thanks!
Has Nvidia released an update to go along with the new OS update?
I thought the video card had automatic updates.
I will put the old video card back in when I return from work.
What is strange is that I don't believe my old card is flashed for Mac either and it has never had a problem with OS updates.
It is a 5770 Radeon and I have never had a boot screen.
Thanks again!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks!
Has Nvidia released an update to go along with the new OS update?
I thought the video card had automatic updates.
I will put the old video card back in when I return from work.
What is strange is that I don't believe my old card is flashed for Mac either and it has never had a problem with OS updates.
It is a 5770 Radeon and I have never had a boot screen.
Thanks again!

Yes, the web driver usually avail within 48 hours (sometimes even avail in less than 1 day).

AMD card only can use OS build in driver. So, 99% either work OOTB or no driver at all. (Few card can work only after kext edit)

For Nvidia, if no OS build in support, web driver will be required. Otherwise, black screen only.

I think you should study the Nvidia sticky thread. All info has been memtioned many times at there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.