Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Actually to be honest I was being too harsh, at least if you're talking about iOS. vlc 3 is a massive improvement on iOS, but is still playing catch-up.

For software playback on iOS, other players are still better but hardware playback now works on machines that support it.

For example on my iPad Air 2 I have some 8-bit 1080p HEVC video that plays with some stuttering on my iPad Air 2 with vlc but with other players are perfectly smooth.

For my iPhone 7 Plus I can play even 4K HDR HEVC cleanly in vlc 3 using hardware decode but mainly if the file is downloaded locally. The interface needs work though. If I’m in an area with poor WiFi speeds it will have buffering issues, which is not a surprise, but it will try to continue to play that file complete with the horrible playback even if I leave the app.

As for scrubbing 4K HEVC it’s bad in multiple programs, not just vlc, but that’s not a surprise since it’s inherently hard to scrub.

I’ll do more testing on macOS.

EDIT:

So, I just retried vlc on my High Sierra iMac i5-7600. (vlc version 3.0) Unfortunately, it's remains a stuttery mess for high bitrate 4K HDR HEVC.

This is ironic, because before HEVC, vlc was great on OS X and terrible for iOS. Now with HEVC and vlc 3.0, vlc is OK on iOS, but poor on macOS.

---

tl;dr:

vlc 3 is a reasonable free alternative on iOS overall, but for HEVC, apps like Infuse are better.

vlc 3 is decent free macOS program if you don't need HEVC, but if you need 4K HDR HEVC, apps like IINA are more appropriate.

Very interesting. Well, I guess your issues don't compare to what I'm doing, as I'm still on 1080p and 1440p monitors. Lame, huh? haha...

Once I'm more settled in, I'll pull the trigger on a 32" 4K monitor. Got any advice as to which one? I really dig my BenQ 1440p monitor. For one, I love that it has NO camera! At any rate, I'd like to stay at or below $1000.

As for VLC vs. IINA vs. others, for the purposes of 1080p playback and some editing, where would you rate the players with these criteria?

Thanks for the in-depth responses!

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
It really depends on the bitrate, bit depth, and file specs, as well as your hardware specs. What are you playing, and what are your Mac Pro specs?

If it's a low bit rate, low complexity, 8-bit 4K HEVC file, I can see it playing fine, but just try playing this file:

http://4kmedia.org/sony-camping-in-nature-4k-demo/

It's 76 Mbps 60 fps 10-bit HDR 4K HEVC. In vlc 3.0 on a 2017 iMac Core i5-7600, it doesn't play well at all. It plays smoothly in QuickTime. The 10-bit colour is probably not being converted properly, but that's a different issue.

EDIT:

IINA plays it perfectly smoothly too, but with candy cane colours and noticeable dithering/banding on my iMac. No banding in QuickTime, but the colour saturation is reduced.

The point of HEVC being to reduce bandwidth, not to inflate it to extreme cases that do not exist outside the studio…

No, my old hardware cannot play this sample properly. It is the equivalent of a whopping 70 GB movie. The ones I watch are 4K 10-bit HEVC at 2–3 GB, to be compared to 10–15 GB for H.264. That is the typical usage, and it works just fine on even old equipment without native hardware decoding.

I can guarantee that nobody can see or hear any difference.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The point of HEVC being to reduce bandwidth, not to inflate it to extreme cases that do not exist outside the studio…

No, my old hardware cannot play this sample properly. It is the equivalent of a whopping 70 GB movie. The ones I watch are 4K 10-bit HEVC at 2–3 GB, to be compared to 10–15 GB for H.264. That is the typical usage, and it works just fine on even old equipment without native hardware decoding.

I can guarantee that nobody can see or hear any difference.
Errr... Normal UHD Blu-ray discs are spec'd to reach up to 108 Mbps. While 76 Mbps is high, its not really that high, and its quite normal for a 24 fps movie to be say 40 Mbps or 35 GB. However, the bitrate might be larger for 60 fps sequences, like this demo file.

And these files play just fine on my fanless 12" MacBook in QuickTime, due to hardware acceleration. That's the whole point of hardware acceleration after all. Judging by my results, I get the impression that vlc isn't using hardware acceleration on the Mac, which IMO is a big problem for 4K HDR HEVC.

And as mentioned, the same file plays just fine on my iPhone 7 Plus, even in vlc, again because of hardware acceleration. So again, it seems the improvements in vlc have been leaps and bounds on iOS, but not so much on macOS, in terms of true HEVC playability.

BTW, my iPhone records video in 4K HEVC 8-bit at 20-25 Mbps. My kid's last kindergarten recital video was a 4 minute and 10 second video that was 722.5 MB. That means a data rate of 2.89 MB per second, or almost 16 GB for a 90 minute movie. And that's for 8-bit and 30 fps.

Luckily though, because it's relatively low complexity, and 8-bit 30 fps, most recent machines can decode it in software. But using hardware means the fans will never ramp up, and the machine stays quiet when playing the video back.
[doublepost=1522541301][/doublepost]
Very interesting. Well, I guess your issues don't compare to what I'm doing, as I'm still on 1080p and 1440p monitors. Lame, huh? haha...

Once I'm more settled in, I'll pull the trigger on a 32" 4K monitor. Got any advice as to which one? I really dig my BenQ 1440p monitor. For one, I love that it has NO camera! At any rate, I'd like to stay at or below $1000.

As for VLC vs. IINA vs. others, for the purposes of 1080p playback and some editing, where would you rate the players with these criteria?

Thanks for the in-depth responses!
Well, put it this way: Back in the old days I used to say I wouldn't be satisfied until Apple TV supported 1080p h.264 decoding in hardware, even though the units could only output a maximum of 720p. Why? Because the standard for h.264 was 1080p. The files existed and if I had one, I wanted to be able to play it, even if it was only at 720p. I didn't want to have to re-encode my files to lower bitrates and at 720p just to be able to watch them. The key is to be able to get the file once at a decent resolution and bitrate and then play it on anything.

I wanted the same for my iPhones, but people said was crazy to expect that. Fast forward just a few years and 1080p h.264 has become normal, even at high bitrates, and even on cheap Android phones.

Now with HEVC, I would expect the same, but this time with 10-bit 4K material. And I already have support for this on my iPhone.

Last edited:

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
VLC is nice, but I don’t like how it doesn’t have borderless video playback. The gray borders and menu bars are a little ugly. Bezeless is the future. Being able to pinch to zoom in on the video windows is one of the things that makes it easier to use.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

I like IINA... been using it for about a year.. ever since I found it.
[doublepost=1549738166][/doublepost]
My vote is VLC as well. Too bad the Mac version can't open multiple videos at the same time and play them simultaneously. Not that I necessarily need that feature more than once or twice a year, but every now and then it would come in handy.

I haven't taken close enough a look at the new VLC 3.0 yet to see if the feature was added, but I couldn't find it just on taking a glance at it.

Every few months, I check out alternative players, and I also installed IINA, but honestly, I don't get it. What's so great about it? It's not even out of beta yet.

VLC has an insane amount of powerful features that are not even really visible to the everyday user. I'm also looking forward to checking out the 1.0 version of VLMC, VLC Movie Creator.

That’s half the point. Like a toddler speaking in complete sentences, they nailed the execution so well and aren’t even v1 yet.

The other half is that isn’t not the giant mess every feature possible player. It shouldnt take hours to figure out the preference window (movist). Name not withstanding, IINA feels curated - like each featured was hand picked and organized before being added. In a word: clean

IINA v1.0 was released on Christmas Day, 12-25-2018, and v1.01 was released on 1-14-2019.

https://iina.io/download/

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
I also use IINA at the moment.

Which video player is the best in upscaling 480p content? What do you use? I have lots of old family movies.

k27

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
I think IINA is the best choice for upscaling because IINA is based on MPV.
You can use many advanced features in MPV or IINA. But I have not dealt with that yet. Therefore I cannot give you any advice for advanced settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.