Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Hello all,

I am trying to wrestle with the question of which video codec is best for showing embedded on a web site.

Also, what would be the expectation of the viewer (they have to find the media player, have a decent connection, and PC, etc.)?

Finally, how would you handle those who had issues viewing the video?

What are everyone's experiences with this issue?

As a web surfer, what do you expect on this issue? Is installing a new player, be it Windows, Flash or Quicktime acceptable?

Max.

Moderators, I may have accidentally put this in the wrong forum.. Is it easy to move it to web dev?

Max.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
In my experience, there are 3-4 common videos on any given website.

The two main players out there are QuickTime and Windows Media Player. Most people have one installed by default and a good number of people have both. Next is size. Usually, sites will have 320x240 in both formats and a "hi-res" video (usually 640x480) in one or both formats. Since you're providing two options, most people ought to have one or the other. If they don't already, they'll most likely download one. There shouldn't be too much issue with the videos, since you're providing several options, but a direct download link is also nice.

So...

QuickTime
320x240
640x480

and

WMV
320x240
640x480

are your best (most universal) options.

Hope this helps.

bogiesan

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2001
maxvamp said:
Also, what would be the expectation of the viewer (they have to find the media player, have a decent connection, and PC, etc.)?
Finally, how would you handle those who had issues viewing the video?
What are everyone's experiences with this issue?
As a web surfer, what do you expect on this issue? Is installing a new player, be it Windows, Flash or Quicktime acceptable?
Max.
Max.

1. PC users will NOT download and install Quicktime.
2. If it's your site, all you can do is provide the files you think you should. After that, it's up to visitors to figure out how to view them.
3. I have no problems installing any player but I'm in the video business.

Flash is coming on very strong as the lowest common denominator and is kicking butt while QTY and WMP throw sand each other. Everyone has Flash, or they'll download it without question. The problem is that Flash video encodes can be much larger and of lower image quality than the same product delivered in QT or Real or WMP. We will be moving our online delivery to Flash eventually. Adobe's Macromedia muscle may prevail.

bogiesan

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
i find myself preferring flash video more and more. that flv format is pretty solid, and you can design your own playback interface if you wish.

most people have flash anyway, and generally i've found that if they are confronted with a warning that says "you need to update flash." they are much more likely to do it than if it was saying "you need to update quicktime/wmp".

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
bogiesan said:
1. PC users will NOT download and install Quicktime.

I'm a PC user and I use QuickTime second only to VLC. A lot of machines (Dell & HP included) come pre-loaded with QuickTime the last time I checked. Also, I'd like to include the fact that EVERYONE who downloads iTunes also gets a copy of QT as well. As far as I know, there's not a way to not install it with iTunes).

I don't know much about flash video, but I do know from sites like GameSpy and IGN that the two formats they provide are QT (.mov) and WMP (.wmv).

PegasusMedia

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
for the web

No easy answer to that one. We are all victims of the developer wars.

In my opinion (keep in mind you're on a mac forum) Quicktime is best for quality...but excludes many windows users.

WMV is not as good (opinion) and excludes mac users.

When providing for a website, I usually recommend good old fashioned MPEG. Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and pretty much anything else will be able to play it. Quality is not as good, but everybody will see it.

As stated, Flash Video is coming on strong. Being as I'm crusty, old fasioned, and set in my ways, I have not really learned enoug about it yet so I'll leave that for others to answer. has a godd and getting better all the time reputation now though.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I use MPG 1 files, at work we have to send out files for clent approval, & I have found that mpg1 is the only format that we dont get people complaining that they can't play it because they dont want to or can't install QT. Where I work (a TV station) we dont have QT installed on most of the PC and you can't install it without admin access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.