Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
The word "best" here is ambiguous. Do you mean the highest specs? The most expensive? The lightest? Lots of game support? Strong support in the future? Well designed controller? Solid driver software?

There is no one "best" for everything. You have to prioritize what you feel is important and let others know. Should we recommend a $3000 headset?

That said, the Oculus Quest 2 is now tops the Steam VR hardware charts after just a few months of existence. Oculus/Facebook has already stated that they are discontinuing PC-dependent VR headsets like the #2 Oculus Rift S.

I understand that Valve's own VR hardware is pretty good.

Asking what the "best VR headset right now" is like asking what car, kitchen range, or stereo receiver you should buy.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
The word "best" here is ambiguous. Do you mean the highest specs? The most expensive? The lightest? Lots of game support? Strong support in the future? Well designed controller? Solid driver software?

There is no one "best" for everything. You have to prioritize what you feel is important and let others know. Should we recommend a $3000 headset?

That said, the Oculus Quest 2 is now tops the Steam VR hardware charts after just a few months of existence. Oculus/Facebook has already stated that they are discontinuing PC-dependent VR headsets like the #2 Oculus Rift S.

I understand that Valve's own VR hardware is pretty good.

Asking what the "best VR headset right now" is like asking what car, kitchen range, or stereo receiver you should buy.

Good point.

Gaming mostly. No Facebook please.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Sorry i should of said what games maybe. I guess like The Forest.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
You have a budget or not? Either way you should state it.

Again, like buying a car. Should I tell you get a 12-cylinder S-Class Mercedes-Benz that goes for six figures?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
You can get quite a good headset with that budget. But what are the specs of your PC? No sense in getting a really high end headset that your PC can't power close to its full potential.
Intel i7 7700k
32 GB of ram
2 TB SSD NVMe
Geforce RTX 2060 super

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
This really does depend on what you mean by 'Best' of course, as others have pointed out.

I'm personally driving a Pimax 5k+ because I had some specific things I wanted (wide FOV and extremely little to zero screen-door effect. They make a similar unit with better blacks, but it has very noticeable screen-door, so I went with the more washed-out blacks as that's far less important to me than the screen-door effect, which I find intolerable). This has been a very good HMD for me, and was the best I could afford at the time.

I'm driving it with a slightly more powerful 2080 super than the 2060 super you have, and it's barely enough. But, you can always run the HMD at small FOV or medium FOV for now (which equate to about the same as the majority of other HMDs) and then at least you'll be able to use the wide FOV later on if you upgrade your rig.

Note that the Pimax series is a fringe kickstarter semi-high-end range of HMDs, and some people aren't happy, while others are very happy. Mine has been excellent so far (knock on wood), and for the games where I can use the wide FOV and still drive high resolutions, it's glorious. A real PITA, but glorious.

(BTW, for fun and headaches, try VorpX. I'm currently playing FO3 through again, as a VR game. Frigging awesome. But mostly I use my Pimax for seated for racing sims with dedicated sim hardware: Assetto Corsa for example.)

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
This really does depend on what you mean by 'Best' of course, as others have pointed out.

I'm personally driving a Pimax 5k+ because I had some specific things I wanted (wide FOV and extremely little to zero screen-door effect. They make a similar unit with better blacks, but it has very noticeable screen-door, so I went with the more washed-out blacks as that's far less important to me than the screen-door effect, which I find intolerable). This has been a very good HMD for me, and was the best I could afford at the time.

I'm driving it with a slightly more powerful 2080 super than the 2060 super you have, and it's barely enough. But, you can always run the HMD at small FOV or medium FOV for now (which equate to about the same as the majority of other HMDs) and then at least you'll be able to use the wide FOV later on if you upgrade your rig.

Note that the Pimax series is a fringe kickstarter semi-high-end range of HMDs, and some people aren't happy, while others are very happy. Mine has been excellent so far (knock on wood), and for the games where I can use the wide FOV and still drive high resolutions, it's glorious. A real PITA, but glorious.

(BTW, for fun and headaches, try VorpX. I'm currently playing FO3 through again, as a VR game. Frigging awesome. But mostly I use my Pimax for seated for racing sims with dedicated sim hardware: Assetto Corsa for example.)

Thank you.

I am not getting a new Graphics Card. I have a 5 year warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.