Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuga

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I now have a Series 6 and am asking advice for which weather apps have the best radar implementation.

Any input appreciated.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
radarscope Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.50.01 AM.png

Last edited:

jlehet

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2019
I must have looked at every possibility, but I gave up on account of drawing a line at privacy and/or subscription payment model. Some of the subscriptions are crazy expensive, and some of the privacy policies are invasive. I'm even drawing the line at requiring location services to be on. I'll look at the phone if I need detailed weather. If aren't as picky as me, there are some nice options out there. I can't remember the name, but I liked the app that was from Germany.

Reactions: schlupps

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I like weather apps and have demo'd many over the years. but I don't look at a radar loop on my watch. I use Radarscope or Dark Sky for looking at radar on the phone (advantage to each, Radarscope gives the best live data and Dark Sky lets you zoom out and also predict the future). I didn't even have them installed on my watch, but trying them now, DS on the watch does not show radar, RS does show a radar loop and that may work pretty well. I think RS runs faster and better on my S6 watch then it would have on my S3 or S0 watches. I use Carrot for weather on the watch because it has a nice complication, but I am not sure a subscription is worth that. For some reason, Dark Sky's prediction of rain or snow has gotten much less reliable for me over the years (and Carrot and most other apps may be using DS's model for this feature in their apps) and I haven't spent the time to figure out why or if there is anything I can do to make that work.

Fuga

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Yeah, practically every time I want to check radar my phone is handy. But for that odd time ...

WeatherPro's radar on the phone does not get very close in.

Considering Radarscope - new to me. Big fan of Carrot but balking at yet another weather subscription.

Ha! Seems I have already paid for MyRadar.

Thanks, y'all.

Fuga

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
On a bored evening went ahead and bought radarscope and the one year subscription. Wish I could see what Carrot has but not willing to pay that much for Tier3. Radarscope is excellent and highly configurable, relative to MyRadar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.