Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Much has already been said about the fingerprint magnet of the titanium finish, but I would like to discuss how to actually clean it. With the previous stainless steel pros, all that was needed was a cloth dampened with water and fingerprints would wipe right off. However titanium seems to be very resistant to simple cleaning.

Things I've tried so far:
  1. Dry microfiber cloth: doesn't seem to have any cleaning effect
  2. Cloth dampened with water: pretty much the same as a dry cloth (no effect)
  3. Cloth dampened with electronics screen cleaner: very little effect
  4. Cloth dampened with Expo whiteboard cleaner: effectively removes fingerprints, but leaves streaks that need fairly high pressure rubbing to remove.
  5. Isopropyl alcohol q-tip swab, rubbed with cloth after: removes fingerprints, but still needs high pressure rubbing to fully remove
What have you tried and what has worked for you to remove fingerprints from titanium?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I use a case so never had to deal with tons of fingerprints but I used a alcohol wipe followed by a MF cloth. Have you tried a solution of water and a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid? I'm not talking about dunking it in the solution but dipping the MF cloth in it and wiping it. Possibly following with a cloth with just water then a dry cloth

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Hey Siri ! What's the best way to clean my iPhone ?

Okay I found this on the web for the best way to clean my iPhone !

Apple.com

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
Sure you can clean it, but moment you touch phone again there will be another finger print. Honestly no way to avoid that besides case.

I just use normal microfiber cloth every couple days for screen and don't worry about 'daily use' prints. Will drive you crazy trying to keep a spotless phone.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I use a case but when I take it out I give it a wipe with just a cloth and water. I prefer the titanium but yeah if you are worrying about fingerprints it'll be a never ending battle. best to just accept it and deal with it.

Reactions: TracerAnalog

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I've never worried about how to clean any of my previous devices. I clean my Rolex watches once a year with a wet rag. In the end its a phone people. Enjoy it.

Enrico77

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2021
Antibes
The best way to clean an iPhone, which I've been using since the time of the iPhone 7 (the first one with water resistance), is by putting a drop of dish soap on the screen. Then, with clean hands (previously washed with soap and not greasy), spread it all over, including the titanium side band. At this point, rinse it thoroughly under the tap, and then let it dry. It's as good as new. The advantage of using dish soap is that it removes grease and fingerprints effectively (think about how it cleans a pan after frying, which is much worse than your fingers!), but at the same time (unlike regular soap), it doesn't leave streaks or smudges (after all, it's meant to make glassware crystal clear).

This technique is also the best for cleaning eyeglass lenses because it prevents scratches by not rubbing the glass in any way (microfiber doesn't scratch, but if even a grain of sand is left on the glass or between the microfiber's fibers, it can damage the glass).

There is, of course, a risk that water may enter the iPhone and damage it; Apple doesn't cover this under warranty. However, personally, I've been doing this for many years on an iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro Max, and now iPhone 15 Pro Max, and they are all still perfectly functional. It's worth noting that I've never had the batteries replaced. In the case of a battery replacement, I'm not sure if the water resistance remains guaranteed, especially if the replacement is not done by Apple.

Reactions: SpotOnT

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Only use the Apple’s microfibres cloth! Just kidding, you should refer to their product page. There should be clear instructions on how to clean your iPhone safely.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Much has already been said about the fingerprint magnet of the titanium finish, but I would like to discuss how to actually clean it. With the previous stainless steel pros, all that was needed was a cloth dampened with water and fingerprints would wipe right off. However titanium seems to be very resistant to simple cleaning.

4. Cloth dampened with Expo whiteboard cleaner: effectively removes fingerprints, but leaves streaks that need fairly high pressure rubbing to remove.
  5. Isopropyl alcohol q-tip swab, rubbed with cloth after: removes fingerprints, but still needs high pressure rubbing to fully remove
What have you tried and what has worked for you to remove fingerprints from titanium?
You must have different usage because my 15 PM shows no need for fingerprint removal. Or maybe you just look really closely to seek out fingerprints. YMMV.

If I do get a noticeable mark it is usually jelly or something like that and comes off quickly with a damp napkin.

Reactions: aParkerMusic

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I use latex gloves and a microfiber cloth, then put it back in its case. (This is for a 14 PM, but I’m sure it works just fine for the 15 too).

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I started with the Nat ti and switched to the blue because I like the color better. I haven’t seen appreciable fingerprints on either phone after a significant amount of use (I don’t use a case). I know the reports show the blue to be bad with fingerprints, and I’ve seen them on the Apple Store display models. Not sure why I’ve had a good experience in this regard.

On the 14PM, there was no point in wiping the prints off of the band because they were back with first touch, ie, immediately.

Reactions: golfnut1982

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
I started with the Nat ti and switched to the blue because I like the color better. I haven’t seen appreciable fingerprints on either phone after a significant amount of use (I don’t use a case). I know the reports show the blue to be bad with fingerprints, and I’ve seen them on the Apple Store display models. Not sure why I’ve had a good experience in this regard.

On the 14PM, there was no point in wiping the prints off of the band because they were back with first touch, ie, immediately.
Blue looks awesome! All colors show some fingerprints (look for yourself at the Apple Store).

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020

Sorry, you don't really have other things to care?
I rarely clean it, because you again hold it and fingerprints appear again. Sometimes I use wet tissue.

• Sad
Reactions: orev

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Y'all obviously care more about such things than I do. I use no case and have never cleaned my 15 iPM except to wipe the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.