Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
I have a ton of old interlaced videos both analog and digital that I am in the process of preserving. The problem with interlaced video is that most video players either add combing to the image or down the frame rate to 30fps. Anyone know of the best method to deinterlace an interlaced video to 60 fps progressive with no combing artifacts?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you're comfortable with ffmpeg on the command line, then "-vf yadif=1" should do the trick. Otherwise, no idea :)

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
If you're comfortable with ffmpeg on the command line, then "-vf yadif=1" should do the trick. Otherwise, no idea :)
Ugh, thats all thats available? Isn't there any software with a GUI that works?

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
I did convert my VHS using Handbrake around 2010. I has a GUI, very easy to use - no options to learn.

You need to familiarize yourself with the de-interlace options; handbrake is very good at this (read the manual). These are all really small resolution (640 or less), so make sure to use double pass - for archiving is worth. 1200 for bitrate is good. Make sure you don't change frame-rate; crop as needed.

It is amazing, I'm watching these 640x400 on a 4K display connected to iTunes home sharing. Of course, it is obviously not even HD - but 4K display does not look pixelated/bad. Many of these old VHS tapes are still great entertainment.

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
I did convert my VHS using Handbrake around 2010. I has a GUI, very easy to use - no options to learn.

You need to familiarize yourself with the de-interlace options; handbrake is very good at this (read the manual). These are all really small resolution (640 or less), so make sure to use double pass - for archiving is worth. 1200 for bitrate is good. Make sure you don't change frame-rate; crop as needed.

It is amazing, I'm watching these 640x400 on a 4K display connected to iTunes home sharing. Of course, it is obviously not even HD - but 4K display does not look pixelated/bad. Many of these old VHS tapes are still great entertainment.
Trying out Handbrake. Problem is, I cannot get it to passthrough PCM audio for my DV files. Why?

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
If you want to put something on YouTube, even if it is from VHS, you need to upscale to at least 720/60p, and have black bars on the side to maintain the aspect ratio. YouTube hits 480p or less with massive compression artifacts, does a poor job with deinterlacing, and turns everything to 30p, even if clear motion was there. Bouncy camerawork is never good, but it looks far worse at 30p than 60p.

I suspect other compressors might have this same problem, so I'd suggest always upscale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.